Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Turbo Supercharged G60

Just wondering if anyone here knows of anyone who has done it, it seems some of the supers cars use a turbo super setup. Just wondered how easy it would be to do?

Beavisjem

not with a G60 charger anyway.

I don;t see any reason why you couldn't do it with a G-Lader. Just need the right ECU to be able to set it all up with

it's called compound charging...

VW are building 1.4 compound charged engines for the new golf which produce a healthy 170bhp!

AW tracksport (TrendyTramp over on Dubforce) has built a couple of engines which are compound charged... If you've been to any of the big shows over the last couple of years, you've probably seen their metallic red, fully caged MKII golf which had no front end other than the cage. That's got their compound charged engine in it... 8)

There's no reason a G60 supercharger couldn't be used, in fact, it'd probably work rather well with a small pulley to give massive low end power... you'd then put a clutch on the charger pulley so that when the boost from the turbo kicks in and matches that from the G60, it'd stop spinning the supercharger and just rely on the boost from the Turbo...

Should make for a rather special combination if you can get it set up properly, it's just a case of working out who to get it to swap between the supercharger and the turbo without any loss of boost.... 8)

id stick to an eaton for it. no point breaking a G lader. they are either gated or clutched. id expect you would need an actuated charger to release pressure or allow it to stop working. the actuator could be controlled to allow smooth power transition. you may as well just use a good turbo though and put up with a 1000rpm or so of lag. its the old 80-20 rule.

VW are building 1.4 compound charged engines for the new golf which produce a healthy 170bhp!

Theyre also building a 2ltr to go in the mk6 golf, god knows what power thats gonna put out

Hows this ..... !!

motor5.jpg

motor1groot.jpg

Can you give me any more info about this car?

Wonder what kind of power its pushing?

Bevaisjem

Its Roy Kenton's Mk4.. don't think its finished yet.. he is friends with JD Engineering.. should be good for 500+ bhp I would have thought.

Ben

Bloody hell.. well there's something novel! Wonder how far away it is from being done..?

SOOOOO tempting to try and do this.

Anyone know how you could link up a clutch system to the g lader to kick in a certian revs?

Or does anyone know how to start finding out how to do this?

Done it a few years back when i still had the original 8v head,i had a T3/4 turbo on aswell,had big boost spike issues because i could'nt find a twin inlet intercooler,i was using a y-piece of metal tube.

Got fed up with the charger's horrible whirring noise when using a 72mm pulley,that noise dissapears when you fit a 68mm or smaller pulley,so does the dam whistle from the charger return,IMO i rekon it's a waste of time using the G60's O/E 8v head,16 or 20v would be a different proposition..

Done it a few years back when i still had the original 8v head,i had a T3/4 turbo on aswell,had big boost spike issues because i could'nt find a twin inlet intercooler,i was using a y-piece of metal tube.

Got fed up with the charger's horrible whirring noise when using a 72mm pulley,that noise dissapears when you fit a 68mm or smaller pulley,so does the dam whistle from the charger return,IMO i rekon it's a waste of time using the G60's O/E 8v head,16 or 20v would be a different proposition..

Was it pushing many ponies, or was it undriveable?

Beavisjem

Roys car has come along way since those pictures posted above. i would imagine the supercharger on this set up wont be clutched it will just run a slightly larger pulley to stop it revving the arse of itself.

I also disagree about it being a waste of time on the 8v head now we have them flowing well it makes staying 8v a very good option. Back to Back on the dynos there was no differance between our big valve 8v and a modded 16v head.

Cheers for the input darren,

Does anyone do a clutch system for superchargers.

If you had a clutch to come in about 4000rpm and then let the turbo kick it, it would mean you could run mid 50mm pulleys without blowing the thing up, or am i missing somthing.

Cheers

Beavisjem

That may well be darren but remember that your still stuck with the G60's non crossflow induction system and single OHC configuration and we all know the huge amount of heat created when turboing an engine,let alone turboing AND charging the G60 mill.

What's the point of trying to force large amounts of air/fuel cooled by an intercooler if it's going to get heatsoaked by that awful G60 inlet manifold design.

Hmm Veedubbed point taken, still just trying to find out if its a viable option on the G60.

Anyone else have any thoughts

Beavisjem

. cnc heads post graphs of both 8 and 16v and a std valve 16v head ported by them flows more than a 8 v big valve head. was it the Glader at full puff that limited the 16v?

counterflow head can only support a smallish turbo too. no point having a big pulley on a glader if the turbo can outflow it by 2.5krpm. the 80-20 rule again.