Sign in to follow this  
2_Door_fun

GTI engine into POLO

Hi all.

My mate who drives Saabs and rebuilds transmissions for a living has a question.

Answers on a postcard please.

now to the question

a guy at work has a mid 80s Golf 1.8 GTI that his son has just crashed now there's another guy at work with a 1998 Polo 1.4 can you see where i'm going with this can you ask on your VW forum if the Golf engine with fit into the Polo and if so what sort of mods need to be done?

So there ya go

well if someone can shoehorn a VR6 into a Polo not much older than a 98 model then its very well possible

End of the day anything can be done.

I know that GTI 8v and 16v engines will fit into a mk3 polo with ALOT of work as the engines lean differently (polo forwards, golf rearwards).

Not going to be a straight forwrd conversion. Golf engines are quite tall compared with Polos.

Most mk4 boys tend to use polo engines for conversions... the later 1.6 16v's drop in easy enough.

Best place to ask (even though I hate to admit) is clubpolo. If you can battle your way through all the waffle and bs on there, there are some very knowledgable peeps on there (even though they tend not to post so much as most mk4 polo owners are knobs that dont know what they're talking about)

for the effort/money involved it just doesnt seem worth it to me. First off, putting a 20ish year old engine into a 8 year old car doesnt sound like a good plan unless its going to get fully rebuilt so you KNOW its rock solid (unless of course its already been rebuilt) thats going to cost you. Then you've got fitting it, which fair enough isnt going to dent your wallet tot he tune of thousands if you're DIYing it, but its still not going to be cheap... dread to think how much it'd cost if you're going to get a garage to do it.

personally I think theres better routes to take if theres an engine swap on the cards, I know a 1.8 16v sounds appealing if you're used to a 1.4, but it really is a lot of effort for a car that'll be pushing 140bhp when finished. I think the time/money could be better spent to get bigger power.

just my 2p

you'll have problems with the emissions...

A 1994 car will have to pass much stricter emissions tests than a mid 80's engine is likely to go through happily...

The reason that putting a NEW engine into an older car is such fun and relatively easy is that you can dump a large chunk of the emissions crud that's added on these days 'cos the emissions tests are based on how old the CAR is, not the engine fitted to that car... ;)

If I'm correct, mk4 polos dont run front subframes.. I think they're the same as mk3's. Golfs do. Lots of fabrication work, custom drive shafts etc etc..

End of the day anything can be done.

I know that GTI 8v and 16v engines will fit into a mk3 polo with ALOT of work as the engines lean differently (polo forwards, golf rearwards).

Not going to be a straight forwrd conversion. Golf engines are quite tall compared with Polos.

Most mk4 boys tend to use polo engines for conversions... the later 1.6 16v's drop in easy enough.

Best place to ask (even though I hate to admit) is clubpolo. If you can battle your way through all the waffle and bs on there, there are some very knowledgable peeps on there (even though they tend not to post so much as most mk4 polo owners are knobs that dont know what they're talking about)

There's nothing wrong with the Polo forums the members of their have been as helpful to me as anyone on this forum. I don't see why you are slating fellow VAG owners :roll: UK-Polos.net are a great bunch as well.

There's nothing wrong with the Polo forums the members of their have been as helpful to me as anyone on this forum. I don't see why you are slating fellow VAG owners :roll: UK-Polos.net are a great bunch as well.

there really are far too many idiots on porka..... there have been threads on here recent slating the members and the forum so it's not just me that feels this way. http://www.uk-polos.net is a good forum. a lot less banter. I should have really linked to it (especially as I'm a mod on there!!!)

There are many many other polo owners that feel the same about clubpolo as me.

here are some posts from the pimpest polo forum there is... cant link as the forum is an invite only affair and tbh the members on it are the most knowledgeable polo owners there ever could be, with some of the sickest polos on the uk show scene to boot.

see what salzmann do in the way of subframes, get one fo them (if they do them) and simplify things with twin 45s and i'd say it wouldn't be a massively difficult conversion, although i dunno how muhc room there is for the actual engine and box, the golf boxes are a fair bit bigger, i know you have to chop the mk3 about abit to shoe horn one in.

end of the day anything is possible, and i hate to say this, but for the time, fabrication and effort involved, i'd get a 20v motor or g60 etc. Probably a case of the engine costs £300, but will cost ten time sthat to get everything working properly.

yea man

if he does a search [on clubpolo] he will find about 50 threads

probably most of them with me saying dont bother

not worth it,

my 1.6 RR'd at 137bhp

which, is the same as mk2 16v engine i think?

and will drop straight in, well, give or take

I really must agree with dub envy. There are a lot of "know-it-all" tossers on Porka. Been slated several times when offering good advice. If there is some obscure Polo part needed, guess who know where to find it.. :scratch: :oops: