Sign in to follow this  
Niges16V

which Polyflex ARB bushes for VR6?

Trying to order a Polyflex front kit and they mentioned that the ARB bushes are for a 18mm ARB. This didn't sound familiar so I measured mine and it's 20mm.

Is there a different bush I need or does the 18mm fit somehow??

Quick help appreciated as I need to get this sorted.

You need a Polo 6N inner ARB bush; it’s another example of ETKA being wrong on the Corrado VR6. Powerflex don’t make an ARB inner bush so if you need new, VW is the only source that’s reliable. We gave up on GSF as they came numbered correctly on the wrong part. The VW number is 6X0 411 313A.

I've just fitted Powerflex ARB bushes to my VR... Maybe you are on about different ones. The ones at the back of the subframe?? They were exceptionally tight, and we dropped the complete subframe assembly out to fit them.

Speak to Darren at G-werks. Thats where I got my bushes from.

Awesome just called me back and said they had all been scratching thier heads and ended up speaking to Poweflex themselves who confirmed that the kit is different to the Golf/16V Corrado as you don't need the drop links?! Nothing was mentioned about the 18mm ARB though.

Still can't see how it's going to fit.

dub envy, same as you mate. having the rear beam done in 2 wks and want the front end sorted as well.

Yeah the front kit I was suplied had outer arb mounts, but The ends of the vr arb doesnt have them....

I was recommended to not go with Powerflex rear beam bushes as they can be a little unforgiving.

Starting to sound a bit better... do the bushes slide along the length of the ARB or are they split for pushing on?? If split then I can see that a 18mm one might fit with a bit of persuasion

The rears are OEM by the way!

Yep, they're split.....but be careful as it's easy to fit them wrong. Study the way the standard ones fit and do the same with the new ones.

Not really as they're offset. If you take both the originals out without noting the orientation first, it's piss easy to fit them back to front. I.e thin end of the bush facing the rear of the car.

Not really as they're offset. If you take both the originals out without noting the orientation first, it's piss easy to fit them back to front. I.e thin end of the bush facing the rear of the car.

I dunno... I think it would be near on impossible to fit them back to front given the grief we had to fit them the correct way.

given the grief we had to fit them the correct way

Do I sense one of 'those' simple DIY jobs coming on :roll:

I've already done it, so I know it's possible.....also possible to fit the ARB upside down so that it hits the exhaust!

It's a much easier job on a ramp....but when you're stuffed under axle stands and it's 25 degrees outside, mistakes can happen! Well, that's how I tend to learn things at least....the hard way!

It's not too bad.....unscrew the front subframe bolts (need an extension through the wishbone holes) and then screw them back in 2 turns.

Undo the rear bolts and remove completely. Undo the floor bolts (just behind arb clamps) and remove completely.

Undo the 13mm ARB clamp nuts and drop the subframe to pull the bushes out. The bastard bit is getting the new bushes in and pulling the clamps down so that you can get the clamp nut/bolts on again!

Be careful when replacing the rear subframe bolts (the ones that go through the rear wishbone bushes) as they're easy to cross thread.

I've already done it, so I know it's possible.....also possible to fit the ARB upside down so that it hits the exhaust!

yup... tbh we didnt have any grief in which way the bushes went in, but after botling the subframe back up under the car we realised that like you did, we;d put the bloody arb in upside down!!! Doh!!

2 miles down the road....hmmm....what's that vibrating noise? LOL!

It's a gualing isn't it? Having to raise the car and do it all over again!

The reason I got the bushes in wrong was cause I used copper grease to aid getting the clamps over them, but the bushes kept slipping round and I'd forgotten to note the orientation of the originals...so I ended up clamping them in the wrong position.

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to experiencing the 'new ride'!

Still tempted on the rear ARB but thinking I should get the basics done first as I'm sure there will be some hidden expenses with this, especially when fitting the rear bushes, such as brake lines etc.