Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

Squeaky brakes

Front or back? - both sides? - If unsure then go for a drive and see if one wheel is significantly hotter than the rest... this will show you if one of the calipers is binding

- If it does in on every wheel rotation then it could be a warped disc or wheel bearing.

- Could be sticky calipers, especially the rear with the mk2/3 handbrake mech, also worth a fluid change if not done recently

The most common causes are however -

- Traffic film / general dirt on the brakes

- Pads that are too hard a compound or not bedded in properly... (shiney surface)

Shiney pads usually squeek when turning for some reason, if you suspect this then take them off and sand them down slightly and then bed in again... If it does it again then change the pads (I had a faulty set of mintex once which did this every 500 miles - they went back to the factory and were tested and found the compound was bad)

fronts, and it seems to be both sides. Ill try the copper grease first although it was lathered up with the stuff when they were fitted.

Black Diamond discs and predator pads are supposed to go together I thought.

what actually causes the squeak?

ZippyVR6, check if the pads are shiney... sand them down if so as they won't fix themselves...

If so they may be a harder compound that takes longer to bed in...

I've been led to believe the squealing comes from the pads vibrating within the caliper but I may be wide of the mark there . . .

I've been led to believe the squealing comes from the pads vibrating within the caliper but I may be wide of the mark there . . .

That's the main reason, dust and high frequency vibrations of the pads. Worn brake pads also cause squealing because some pads have a warning mechanism built in that causes sqeealing when they wear low.

interesting, I replaced the fronts with Brembo discs and pads and did a MK4 conversion an the rear using MK4 discs and pads.

Ive had squealing from the front from day one especially when turning right -I had hoped this was early wingeing from the offside bearing but I think I'll check out the pads and discs

Is there a definitive test for warped discs?

Is there a definitive test for warped discs?

can either give a wobble under braking (most common) or cause a reccurent noise...

ching....ching...ching type of thing :lol: in relation to road speed.

neil.

You'd get juddering through the pedal if the disc was warped, park your car at full right lock then jack it up and spin the wheel, should give you a better idea where the noise is coming from

Some pads come with spring steel clips to stop them from vibrating, they just keep a little pressure on the pad to stop it from moving about or something, i've not quite worked out how they work. Perhaps the clips weren't fitted to yours Zip?

It couldn't be anything caught in them, little stones or anything could it? the land rover is terrible for that.

Try running a bit of emery paper over the sides of the calipers where the pads slide and re lubing with copper grease, just to make sure the pads can slide up and down easily.