Sign in to follow this  
RADO-SHWA

1.8 16v running problems

hi guys, i'm having issues with my 1991 rado 16v.

the car is being a bitch to start in this hot weather (although the engine is still cold) once it fires, usually after about 10 seconds or so, it ticks over fine. once driving and up to temperature the car is perferctly driveable except for this intermittent misfire which seems worse once the car has been running for a while. just last week the distributor oil seal was changed as i found oil in the cap which i thought could have been causingh the problem. is it possible that the hall sender is on the way out as well as ive read in golf + that this is quite common. if so, is it possible to source the sender itself or is it a case of a new distributor? any advice would be much appreciated.

cheers

josh

not sure to be honest pal, am going to check them out tomorrow and will probably replace them along with new cap and rotor arm as a matter of course but am not expecting that to cure the problem.

although we love the dubs, problems with em never seem straightforward at all!

Mine was misfiring pretty bad when I had oil in the cap, best to get a new dizzy altogether, can get one off eBay for like £40-50 :)

There's no need to replace the whole distributor, unless you can pick one up on the cheap; the Hall sender is available as a separate part. I'll be surprised if that's your problem though if I'm honest.

It sounds to me more like a fuel problem. How many miles has the car done?

about 125,000. the car itself seems to have been well looked after (the last owners cousin, i think!, runs awesome gti, so i dont think it has wanted for much in its life).

have been looking through other threads on this problem and it seems the hall sender has been the culprit more often than not, as the misfire is far more prominent when the car is warm.

anyways, have ordered a hall sender from ANDREW PAGE (£33.00, cheaper than a new distributor, and since have just done the oil seal, didnt want to pay the extra for a new unit!) so i'll have to see if that sorts it....

You can pick up a brand new dizzy complete with cap and arm for £50 delivered on ebay...................

Im inclined to go with "bc's" idea that its fuel related, it sounds like old, leaky fuel injectors to me.

I traced a hot misfiring problem to a dodgy coil-the top came off when i tried removing the coil lead!

HTH