Sign in to follow this  
big_chris1981

AP racing brake kit

ahy there peeps, ive been offered a 320mm setup that has been on a mk2 golf for a couple of months.

obviously i'd need to get new bells to make it fit the vr, the big question is, is it worth it?

Chris, see if you can find out the kit part number and I'll be able to help you out.

Basically you need CP5200 calipers, carriers, 304x28 discs for 16" wheels or 330x28 for 17" wheels. Bells are 5x100 and 15mm* thick. You also need the AP spiggot extenders. You will also need VR6 specific hoses as MK2 ones will be too short, but if push comes to shove, you can use some 312 goodridge ones instead.

Pads you can get from anywhere, ranging from £80 for Ferodo DS2500 to £160 for Pagid RS15.

The ball joints need grinding down to give the required disc clearance.

They are well worth the money new, let alone second hand, so good luck ;-)

* - Pushes the wheels 8mm further out than standard, so bare that in mind. I would also download the kit pdf from AP, which has a wheel clearance template to see if they will clear the wheels OK....but IIRC you need 45mm clearance from hub centre line to inside edge of the spokes.

Sounds like a bit of a chew on and could easilly bring you to a sticky end with the tyres mashing the arches and issues here and there, only undertake it if you're prepared to do all this, bit of a risk isn't it?

Chris

Didn't put me off tbh mate. I've known about the ball joint clearance issue for years and knew it would need doing. You don't have to shave much off.

The wheels if ET35 don't stick out ridiculously far, but it is noticeable tho. It's why I had those Compomotives made to ET48 to get them back in the arch, but as you saw yesterday, caliper clearance is still tight!

If you don't mind modding the car for them, then they are very powerful and worth the hassle imo. A lot of things on rados need changing to facilitate mods, it's par for the course as VW didn't make them easy to add things to.

Vortech powers the supercharged VR6,

This is what powers superchatged VR6 owners!

The pics don't do the size of the burgers justice and they were especially tastey made from Aberdeen Angus beef and by they were fulling and gorgeous!

Wires can put his grub away mind, and all washed down with a couple of Stellas, really hot day and my MFA showed 36C on the motorway, a good day!

Chirs

Us Southern flowery frock wearing shandy drinkers know how to make a good doorstep sandwich :-)

Aye, they were right tasty..... perfect day.....blasting in Nosky's car, sun, beer, bliss :-)

I am soooooooo jealous of how quiet your charger is and your engine sounded demonic when you tore off out of the unit!

mmm, that burger looks a LOT tastier than the 'bigger big mac' I had yesterday ... certainly reminded me why I hadn't been to mcdonalds for a few years!

I'm not sure you are allowed that kind of burger yet, you need 2 more cylinders mate! :lol:

I have a sunburned neck and right arm!

I need to have a go at giving your car some beans shortly Kev!

Chris

P.s. Wires, i think you should split these posts and stick them into the SVR thread.

I'm not sure you are allowed that kind of burger yet, you need 2 more cylinders mate!

:lol: I'll have to borrow the old man's 535i then ... that's got 8 cylinders :p

Ah but no chargerness to muse over!! :wink:

You'll just have to find some chargerness near you an get taken for a run out.

Then you can eat such mens burgers! (no pun intended i should add!)

Chris

LOL, yeah good idea Chris....I can't move posts though, only threads, maybe one of the Supermods or Ghandi can do it?

As I said yesterday, you can be the first to give it large - after you've done my schimmel install :-)

Yip well that's fine but you'll have to speak to one of Ghandi's mates and get 'em to split it.

You need to get hold of ATB and arrange a visit, he's off all this week so that would have been the best, let me know.

Chris