Sign in to follow this  
moneypit23

Is my fuel pump dodgy?

The third problem i've had with the car this week.

It started on friday after i visited my parents, i left the car for half an hour, it had been running fine but wouldn't start. At first it turned over and fired up but died straight away but then wouldn't even do that. So in a huff, i phoned the RAC and they turned up 3 hours later (after going to my home address, not where i was broken down)

Anyway, the RAC guy turns up and true to form, the car starts on the first attempt and runs perfectly, leaving me looking like a right idiot.

We concluded that it may have just been a one off but today i was out shopping for about an hour and a half, went back to the car and it again wouldn't run. It would start up and i could keep it going by keeping my foot on the gas but wouldn't run on its own. I decided not to phone the RAC but to leave it alone for another hour or so because i'd left it yesterday and it sorted itself out. I went back over another hour later (8 flights of Arndale Car Park stairs later) and it started fine. It was also fine when i stopped for petrol.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what it might be? I want to be able to point the garage in the right direction when i take it in because it'll probably be working fine.

Its a 1993 2.0ltr 16v 9a engine

Thanks,

Kate

When it wouldn't start, had the car's temperature been high, eg, cooling fans coming in etc if so,

I would hazard a guess that its the fuel vapourising due to a combination of the outside temp and engine temp. This is basically due to the fuel injection system having far to travel ( metering head to fuel pipes to injectors etc )

I bet once the car has cooled right down it starts on the turn of the key ?

At the end of the day, it wouldn't have done this when the car was new, so its a case of eliminating certain area's, firstly id start with the fuel filter and fuel injector cleaner/service. If the fuel filter has never been changed, and then work your way up.

How id be sure that its the vapour problem, is if you try to start the car at say, 15 to 30 mins intervals, if it starts and you get a misfire, then id be 99% sure thats your problem, and especially if you get a wiff of fuel from around the beneath of the car.

If not, it could be a million and one things, personally id go back to basic's, are you getting - Fuel, Spark, Power etc.

Hope this helps.

ive had the same with my little bugger it turned out to be the distributor playing up when hot , fortunatly i had a spare to try , could be worth having a quick look at matey :D

Thanks for the replies. Got some injector cleaner and i'm going to change the fuel filter and see what happens. Been better since its not been as hot.

Stay away sunshine, stay away!