Sign in to follow this  
wcrado

1.8 16v- fan coming on when cold

Just after some quick advice..... for some reason the fan on my 16v seems to be coming on when the car hasn't even warmed up. it doesn't cut in when i'm driving, and only now and again when on tickover in traffic, but it seems to come on after i drive the car and switch the engine off. the annoying thing is, i don't even have to drive it very far! if i literally take it to the shop and back, a 3 minute drive, as soon as i switch the engine off the fan comes on!! and it stays on for ages! is this normal? cos i had a previous 16v which i'm sure never did this.

i'm pretty sure it's not overheating, temp seems to sit around 90deg when on a run and the fan hardly ever comes on when the engine is running. i changed the coolant recently and used about 1 third coolant to 2 thirds water but its still happening. any ideas? i'm selling the car so obviously i would like to get this sorted beforehand.

saw that another guy had this exact problem when i used the search but unfortunately no-one replied to it

this is normal.

there is an over run sensor on a bracket on the left hand side (when viewed from the front of the car) of the head near the airbox. Looks like a bolt with a spade connector on the top of it.

you should find the fan switches on for few minutes then turns of automatically once the sensor has cooled down.

Just after some quick advice..... for some reason the fan on my 16v seems to be coming on when the car hasn't even warmed up. it doesn't cut in when i'm driving, and only now and again when on tickover in traffic, but it seems to come on after i drive the car and switch the engine off. the annoying thing is, i don't even have to drive it very far! if i literally take it to the shop and back, a 3 minute drive, as soon as i switch the engine off the fan comes on!! and it stays on for ages! is this normal? cos i had a previous 16v which i'm sure never did this.

i'm pretty sure it's not overheating, temp seems to sit around 90deg when on a run and the fan hardly ever comes on when the engine is running. i changed the coolant recently and used about 1 third coolant to 2 thirds water but its still happening. any ideas? i'm selling the car so obviously i would like to get this sorted beforehand.

saw that another guy had this exact problem when i used the search but unfortunately no-one replied to it

there's two switches for the fan, the one on the front left of the head (as mentioned) which is to keep the engine bay temp down to prevent fuel vapourising in the fuel lines, and the 2 stage one on the bottom of the rad. Both can fail in a couple of ways so fitting new ones should cure it. If you disconnect the one on the head then you can test if the fan is still coming on too early, if it does then it's the rad one which is up the creek. The rad one is cheap from GSF but you need a new washer too, the other one may be a VAG dealer part only, but you can find them on passats, golfs and audi's second hand.

sorry guys i've looked for the sensor on the front left of the head, and can't see it anywhere.....

front left, near the airbox, right??? can't see one!!!! arrgh!