Sign in to follow this  
marcus

Black Diamond discs?

Who has experience with these phosphate coated discs and how long do they stay looking a nice black for?

The Black Coating on the contact surface lasts for about 30 seconds. On the edge and on the bell it lasts for a few months. If looks are important, I mask off the edge and bell then spray it with VHT motorcycle barrel paint from Frost, http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... t%20(310ml) . I did this to the 280's on my Golf 2 ten years ago and it is still OK.

The discs - married with the pads - make an excellent setup though.

Excellent braking, and the pads last for ages.

14 months later on the C and they had hardly worn at all (whereas I normally would be down to the metal after 12 months!)

Agreed, when the Passat brakes need doing, I'll definately Black Diamond it up ;)

Corrado-wise: got mine from C&R, along with Goodridge hoses kit and Mk4 calipers.

Well worth it.

Well its good good to hear the positive feedback on the performance.

So do the black discs start looking very scratched and tatty after a short period of time?

Nah, just look like normal discs after a week of use ;)

Seem to stay a bit more shiney and don't rust when standing as much as normal discs....

They're just a damn good setup.

Grooved discs make a cool whirr when braking hard from speed :)

Sounding good so far then Andi . TBH i am more concerned they stay decent looking, at the moment it seems they visually deterioate just the same as normal discs??

Sorry, but if it was the difference between them looking 'nice' and stopping me from ploughing into the back of somebody - I'd take the latter!

I don't think the actual 'good' stuff about the Black Diamond discs is the fact that they are black... Whatever they are made with, and when with BD pads - they seem to just last forever....

One less thing to worry about on the C!

Well i'm impressed by the comments so far (even the sarcastic one :wink: ). Its just im planning big gold callipers and nice wheels etc ....that was the main reason i was interested on how long the stay a nice black for :-).

Totally agree with Andi - the discs last for ages. I changed the front ones on my VR Golf a few months ago after 6 years & 75K miles. They still worked great but had developed slight ridges where the holes are drilled. Probably would have gone on to 100K miles without any trouble tho'.

If you want to keep them looking black, you're going to have to paint the non-friction areas with high temp paint.

Your corrado should be washed everyday without fail LOL. so break dust quantities shouldnt matter :-).

Your corrado should be washed everyday without fail LOL. so break dust quantities shouldnt matter :-).

Erm, that was for other people's benefit.... honest :oops: