Sign in to follow this  
OSV

HID Lighting, discuss!

got their H1 kit in my 993............simple to fit and looks factory........the only prob might be the legality of them on the C but then again its only new cars that have to have the automatic leveling and H/L wash.....i thought i'd chance it with my 993 as its got H/L washers and manual(from in the cabin) headlight adjustment

There are absolutely no issues re: MOT, all the tester checks is alignment, it is a requirement for OE HID's to have high pressure washing and automatic level adjustment but this is not a requirement for aftermarket fitment. I have HID's in my Nugget and they are awesome, just white light, only downside is it makes main beam totally redundant now because the output is so much worse

I think you can but in effect they are same output as dipped beam so you're just doubling up on the total output

Ok time to put a few myths to bed on HIDs

I looked into fitting them to my Leon but some help from a family member that works for the DVLA and a few boffins at an atuomotive testing facility. (basically the test stuff like this)

Basically from the legislation we could work the following out. however this is enterpritation, and not legally checked.

You can fit them legally however

You must use the correct E marked equipment

you must use headlamp housing designed to take the bulb, (you cannot modify non HID housings as they then loose the E mark)

The lenses must also conform to type approval for that headlamp type.

So in a nut shell for example

Retro fitting them for a standard corrado headlamp housing, is illegal modified or not.

Retro fitting them to an aftermaket headlamp housing E marked for that type of device is legal.

An Example

I could have a MK4 golf with standard type headlamps, buy a HID kit and OEM or aftermarket HID housings and fit them to a mk4 golf.

You dont need washers or autoleveling....but they do have to be electrically adjustable.

Bascially with the case of my Leon, I found the aftermarket lenses, and the KIT, but the headlamps housings had to no level adjustment. so made them illegal.

im not too bothered about legality. id be interested in a group buy price, unless this causes the forum a problem through promoting etc..

Ok time to put a few myths to bed on HIDs

I looked into fitting them to my Leon but some help from a family member that works for the DVLA and a few boffins at an atuomotive testing facility. (basically the test stuff like this)

Basically from the legislation we could work the following out. however this is enterpritation, and not legally checked.

You can fit them legally however

You must use the correct E marked equipment

you must use headlamp housing designed to take the bulb, (you cannot modify non HID housings as they then loose the E mark)

The lenses must also conform to type approval for that headlamp type.

So in a nut shell for example

Retro fitting them for a standard corrado headlamp housing, is illegal modified or not.

Retro fitting them to an aftermaket headlamp housing E marked for that type of device is legal.

An Example

I could have a MK4 golf with standard type headlamps, buy a HID kit and OEM or aftermarket HID housings and fit them to a mk4 golf.

You dont need washers or autoleveling....but they do have to be electrically adjustable.

Bascially with the case of my Leon, I found the aftermarket lenses, and the KIT, but the headlamps housings had to no level adjustment. so made them illegal.

none of the MOT places iu even been, check stuff like that tbh

It not an MOT issue as i found out. The mot is a road worthness and is only a basic check to which even the DVLA admit.

Basically cars go on the road after being Type approved for the eqipement fitted to them. Any kit fit after must conform to the laws of the land. there is no check for light equipment type on the mot test. purely that it works.

The problems comes if you get stopped by the police or you have a crush and they find the kit fitted illegally. Plus Insurance issues. Not something id be willing to open up. Okay you might loose your own car as they wont pay out in a crash...but could you afford to pay for the other persons looses and medical bills? worst case i know, but it about being responsible on the roads these days.

I think you can but in effect they are same output as dipped beam so you're just doubling up on the total output

OK cheers. Like you found, I'm not sure I like the idea of switching the beams on only to find they are dimmer than the dipped beams!

Don't mind if the mains are the same output, just so long as the light is all white, and not a mixture of candle power and HID.

From the website

This kit is true bixenon and gives you both low beam and main beam in HID xenon. The bulbs have shields at the bottom and end caps to prevent glare on even the latest clear headlamps including Freelanders, Skoda Octavia, Fabia and Subaru and all other H4 applications

This kit has perfect beam patterns, just check out the image for the left 6000k low beam light on my own car. No glare is produced due to the specail design of the shield and cap.

Many people worry about the delay between low and high beam, but i can assure you the swtich from low to high is instant. Also you can flash the main beam from cold, and its bright and affective. We have sold hundreds of these kits and only had 2 faulty solenoids - unlike more expensive kits we tested where failure rates were upto 30%!!

Not sure about there use in cars, but in other uses (e.g. dive lights) HID lamps can take a few mins to warm up to full brightness, and there life is governed by the amount of times they are turned on and off, not hours on service. Minor points I know, but worth considering. IIRC, replacement bulbs are bl**dy expensive too! very bright high temp output and low power consumption though!

Phil

the ones i rerto fitted only take seconds to get to full brightness,compared to factory fitted ones my father-in-law has in his RR its only slower by 1-2 secs