Sign in to follow this  
tonytiger

VR6 Engine Trouble - secondhand options

My VR (which now has 162k on it) is now off the road with what sounds like a major engine problem - probably the bottom end :cry:

I've been reading through a lot of the VR6 engine rebuild/replace type threads and concluded that at the moment the best solution for me (cost-wise) is probably to source a secondhand engine (still 12v).

However, 2.9 engines (as expected) don't seem to be too easy to find compared to the 2.8 ones - so, if necessary (and only temporarily), could a 2.8 be fitted without any changes or would the ecu or any of the sensors not work too well with one?

Appreciate any advice / experience on this.

I think the only real problem is OBD1/2 differences mate. I think an OBD1 engine will pretty much drop straight in.

:iamwithstupid:

Whats up with the bottom end though mate? Who has had a look at it for you?

Nice colour C by the way ;)

Don't actually know what's wrong with it yet - I've dumped it at the garage and he had a listen and agreed that it did sound like the bottom end. Can't see the point in stripping the engine if I'm just going to swap it (as I really can't see it being something minor).

Problem happened when I'd been out in the car - dual carriageway, 70+mph - everything seemed normal until I slowed down on the slip road when I could hear this loud knocking sound (not really sure that's a good description - I should probably have recorded it). Initially thought I might have run really low on oil, but on checking it was probably just over a litre below max.

So then I just took the car straight home (steadily). It was a really hot day and I did notice that the oil temperatue was showing 130 when I was only doing 50mph - which seemed excessively high.

That was about a fortnight ago - I took the car to the garage yesterday. I've declared the car sorn now as I don't know how long it will be before I get this sorted.

For OBD2 engines, is there actually any mechanical difference? I thought it was maybe just the throttle body that would be different and I could just swap that off the current engine?

Ummmz, is OBD2 when Coilpacks came in? (must be around that time)

mines OBD1 and on a dizzy

But then mine seems to be right on the transission, I have new front end and interior, but Dizzy and OBD1, Olli (notts county) is on a K plate same as mine, but old interior, it all went weird in 93 :-/

IIRC there's no difference in OBD1 and OBD2 bottom ends, it's all in the inlet mani, MAF, TB etc

Ummmz, is OBD2 when Coilpacks came in? (

Nope, all corrado's were made OBD1. I think the OBD2 came in with the Golf Highline.

go on tell the whole fekin world about it then stan! ;)

Well if you pulled your bloody finger out it wouldnt be on ebay any longer!!! Muppet :lol:

go on tell the whole fekin world about it then stan!

Well if you pulled your bloody finger out it wouldnt be on ebay any longer!!! Muppet

:lol: :lol:

unfortunately i can't control time, so i am forced to wait for the auction to end ;)

(well actually i can control time, but i don't want to shock you too much)

go on tell the whole fekin world about it then stan!

Well if you pulled your bloody finger out it wouldnt be on ebay any longer!!! Muppet

:lol: :lol:[/quote:2aa82]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

was hoping nobody else had seen this! may the best man win :-)

Im not going mad as i need a head job more than a bottom end ;-)

but my pistons slap!! are you desperate for one double 6 ??

if you are ill leave it. dont want to be fighting with another forum dude

and why didnt you sell me your charger :-(