Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Fuel smell

THis is starting to drive me potty!! i am getting a fuel smell from my car, i can smell it inside the car when the fans are on and it smells quite strong on the outside at times, i can smell it most when ive been on long run at motorway speeds, when the engine is hot.

I have checked all the pipes in around the bay and there is no leaking at all...

There is a pipe coming from the pump going into the driverside front wing, i pulled this out and it has nothing on the end, i am guessing this is to let the air out of the fuel tank??

I cannot see any leaks coming from anywhere at all but i can still smell bloody fuel!! I am running out of places to look now??

mike mine does it ocassionly when you took your carbon cannister off it might be the one that has to be vented to the atmnosphere that gives slightly petrol smell

if not i had to tighten the clip on the rubber hose going into the fuel rail mine was leaking slightly a while ago and could smell petty all the time and worse when hot problem is by the time its leaked and expanded the petrol has probably evaporated so you prob keep missing it chap!

good luck anyway!

Andy

The time I was getting a fuel smell was down to the pipe going in to the top left of the fuel rail Mike. They tend to crack around the inside when old and you get fuel seeping through in small amounts, and vapourising when it hits hot metal. So you get a smell but no visible sign when the engine is hot.

I take it i can just replace this fuel pipe with some normal fuel hose from halfords or something? (8mm??) i am guessing the prices for a specific fuel pipe from VAG will set me back a few million pounds?? 8)

i heard a little thing that it has to be from vag as its a very specific length and if too small can cause trouble maybe someone will shed some light but yeah im sure its 8mm thou

Andy

I take it i can just replace this fuel pipe with some normal fuel hose from halfords or something? (8mm??) i am guessing the prices for a specific fuel pipe from VAG will set me back a few million pounds?? 8)

I have that exact piece of pipe still in the packet new from VAG if you want it mate! I bought it for my G60 but in the time it took VAG to get it to me the leak suddenly got quite serious and I went and got it sorted at Stealth when I was there getting some other work done.

Have you checked for the leak with the engine running? I never used to see mine leaking but then started it up then let it warm up a bit and popped the bonnet and saw a thin jet of fuel spraying from this pipe down onto the exhaust manifold, complete with a little hiss and sizzle each time!

i have had the engine running up to temp and left it for ages, still couldnt see a leak??

How much do you want for the pipe??

ah this sounds abit like my prob. I've got the Kr engine and need to replace the plastic/rubber pipes going from the inj unit (sits on top of the air box - sorry if i got that wrong ) to the metal pipes that run to the injectors. when I Went to VAg on the IOW they want £37 for each pipe, does any one know where I could get these pipes from ? even if there uprated ones or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy from VAG?

thanks Twiss

whats £37 versus flames? .....

check the smell from the pipe coming from the cam cover breather. you might have a filter on a catch tank etc - so smell that when the engine is running. it might smell like fuel but in this case it'd actually be oil vapours

Mike, you should be able to get all the moulded pipes for about £50 from VW if you get a good discount, the one on the right of the rail to the pressure switch can be done with standard stuff but you need to but the good quality pipes (ribbed) so it will bend propery... I'd stick to VAG for the feed and return because of the shape.

These pipes can weap very slightly and the vapour gets sucked straight into the cabin, i found my leak on the pressure switch one by pulling on the pipe with the engine running - fuel was pissing out then evaporating off the manifold.

Sounds like you have a leak but try venting that CC hose into the airbox first, mine stank after the CC was removed and the pipe left like that...