Sign in to follow this  
heyzy

vr wont start

My vr6 has given up starting.It was intermittent but has finaly let me down.IT has had a new starter moter and battery but i dont think it that because it turns ok and fires but the engine runs about 1-2 secons then dies as if it has lost its ignition live.i dont think its a fuel problem as i can rev the engine and when it did used to start after this it ran great.Has anyone any ideas what it could be cheers

I know it's an old cliche but step no 1 is to hook the engine up to the diagnostics and then go from there but I have heard that if the Engine speed sensor goes, the engine won't start or will start and run very badly. I hope it isn't that as it costs £140.

Kev

Yes i think iam going to have to to take it in to volkswagen.Left the car at work overnight then went to it this morning and it started first time and ran great but i dont no when its going to let me down again.Cheers

Could be down to the factory immobiliser, dont know too much about it myself but im sure someone else will.

I found a spare key for the ignition that had no chip inside key and exactly the same thing happened.The car is now running with normal key.Weird.Think its definatly something to do with the factory immobilizer.Does the chip in the key ever go faulty?or do i need a new immobilizer.Thanks again for all comments.

I found a spare key for the ignition that had no chip inside key and exactly the same thing happened.The car is now running with normal key.Weird.Think its definatly something to do with the factory immobilizer.Does the chip in the key ever go faulty?or do i need a new immobilizer.Thanks again for all comments.

I would say its very possible for the chip to go faulty as my car runs perfect with one key, but if I use my spare it starts then dies straight away. :o

My car did have a replacemnt alarm ecu though so it may be that the key wasnt reprogrammed. In fact, I dont even think the factory fit alarm is the same system as the key immobiliser so it must be faulty.

I think it was standard on all vw's after a certain year, my '93 16v didnt have it but my '95 vr6 does. A mates Polo also has the same thing and I think thats a '95, basic spec.