Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

Wheels fouling inner and outer arch

I have fitted fk ak coilovers to my rado 2.0 16v and wound them down to the max. The problem i have is that my front tyres 205/40/17 on bk299 alloys hit the inner body work (the metal wall between the engine and wheel) on full lock, they also rub slightly on the plastic arches.

How can i sort this? Dont really want to raise the car.

Ive heard about spacers but dont know much about them except to get hubcentric ones. Any pros and cons for them?

Was thinking of 15mm ones for the front and 20mm for the rear (rears seem further away fro, the arch lip) sound ok?

Or should i just bash the hell out of the inner metal wall? making the clearance for the wheel?

well, I presume your wheels are 7.5" so not exactly wide, your only options then mate are....

having arches done (rolled) to allow for the wheels, you may get away with just cutting the inner lip to give you a bit more room, possibly costly....

lifting the suspension up slightly until you reach a comfortable height or...

grinning and bearing it!!! if they are only rubbing on full lock who cares!!! I had 9's on the front of mine with a 70 ish drop, only rubbed on full lock so I left it as was...!

depending on offset, spacers will only push the wheels out further into the arches and make them rub the outer so I wouldnt bother ... :)

If the wheels are rubbing the INNER arch's why not fit some small spacers. we now do an 8mm one which should not casue any issues with full lock on the outer arch. you could also get away with some 15mm' spacers on the rear offset depending.

HTH

ok, my wheels et is 38.

theres quite a bit of space from the tyre to the outer arch about 30mm thats why i thought about 15mm spacers on the front

will call you up gman about this tomorow if thats ok?

cheers

wheel to arch distance is 300mm

If you wanted to go 15mm we can supply them for you .

8mm £47.50

15mm £65.00

Made by H&R so all TUV approved

15mm spacer can be run without rolled arches and will NOT rub on the arch on a 7.5J wheel with 205/40 tyre, unless you have one them freak rado's that just rubs

cant ignore the rubbing on full lock, the mot guy failed me because of it, so have to pay £20 to get it rechecked once sorted

I noticed my drive shaft are well above the horizontall. ive heard this is bad. but why so?

Myn used to rub on full lock & on the rear, Im running 7.5x17's BBS coilovers are all the way down on the rear & front have couple of inches left to wind down.. front are set with negative camber to avoid any rub on arches, never had a problem with MOT..