Sign in to follow this  
waynos

wierd noise at petrol cap

I dont know if anyone can help me with this.Recently ive been smelling petrol intermittently when im drivng, there arent any leaks because ive checked. even stranger though is this mornin after i got out the car i shut the door and i started to hear a hissing noise from the petrol cap area. I looked over and you could smell and see the fuel vapour.Ddoes anyone know what could be causing this? Its a 1989 1.8 16v\

cheers

KR's don't have a carbon canister venting system. It is probably a tank venting system fault, more than likely that little valve just inside the filler neck. Has the tank been out recently and is the cap a genuine VW item?

the cap is a genuine vw item. ive only had the car since november last year, theres no evidence of the tank being removed. Is the valve you are talking about easy to change/obtain?

The valve is screwed into the neck of the fuel tank from the left as you look at it and is accessed from inside the wheel well. A though good pressure washing up there first will help. They are very reliable but occasionally do give problems. The valve is part number 191 201 136 A, upto 1991 and therefore is the same as a Golf 2. It is unlikely to be at fault and is difficult to check but easy and cheap to change. Do you experience difficulty filling the tank? I have seen quite a few early cars with collapsed breather hoses due to age and clamp rust but the tank has to be removed to check this.

yea ill probably change it to be on the safe side. im sure thats where the petrol smell is coming from when im driving aswell.how do u mean by difficulty filling the tank? i dont seem to have any problems with that though. where abouts is the breather hose? is it difficult removing the tank?

The hoses are all above the tank. The tank is easy to lower out. The straps unbolt quite easily and there are two 10-mm headed bolts up near the filler cap. You have to disconnect the fuel lines and wiring from the sender unit under the black disc on the boot floor.

ok ill give that a try, is it a case of just cleaning out the breather pipe? do u mean the fuel lines undeneath the car? ive done that before n petrol went everywhere lol is there a way i can de pressurize the system first?