Sign in to follow this  
james_88

Fuelling Problem

Just a quick question, the other day i was driving along and when i tried to accelerate the car hesitated (well wouldn't go at all) - pulled over to have a look in the engine bay and found the vacuum hose attached to the fuel pressure regulator had come off so i popped it back on. Then tried to start the engine and it just died - it turns over over but then completely stalls.

I had a new fuel pump/filter fitted recently so i doubt that's the problem. Plus i can hear the relays and pump when trying to start the engine. What else could be causing a lack of fuel getting to the engine? Did something in the FPR get damaged when the vacuum hose popped off or something?

Just returned from a road trip to the Nurburgring at the weekend - probabaly didn't do the car any favours :lol:

Sorry to hear your probs mate - the fuel filter is the right way round in it ? that would explain the back pressure to blow your pipe off ! sorry to say if not - just a quick thought :?

It's been running fine for many months since the fuel pump/filter was changed so prob not due to being fitted the wrong way!

Cheers anyway.

Other than that try smashing some fuel aditive/fuel line cleaner/injector cleaner - {I do that at least once a year so's not to get fueling problem} through a tank of juice :wink:

Firstly, the following job will release fuel, possibly at high pressure so take all suitable precautions such as the engine must be cold, no naked lights, work in a well ventilated area preferably out of doors and have a fire extinguisher to hand. Remove the fuel pump relay (position 12 with the number 167 on top) and attempt to start the car as normal (immobiliser disarmed) and this SHOULD release any fuel pressure in the rail IF the injectors are opening which they may not be doing as the car will not run. At this point, be very careful as fuel may be sprayed out all over you and will run onto the exhaust. Remove the hose from the number 4 end of the injector rail (to the fuel pressure sensor on the inlet manifold) and attach a fuel pressure gauge to the test point. The gauge needs to be capable of reading to 5 bar. Bridge out the two large sockets (4 and 6) on the relay plate fuel pump position, relating to the two large terminals (30 and 87) on the relay. 4 on the plate corresponds to 87 on the relay, the power to the pump, and 6 corresponds to 30 which is the power to the relay. The fuel pump should now run even with the ignition off (unless the output has been intercepted with an immobiliser so the ignition may need to be on with the immobiliser disarmed) and you should see approx 4 bar on the gauge, dropping to approx 3.5 bar if you apply a vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator. If this test gives the required results, the fuel pump should be OK. When removing the gauge, again beware of high-pressure fuel and run the pump (as described previously) after re-fitting the hose to check for leaks BEFORE starting the engine.