Sign in to follow this  
Spykee

My New Suspension

ive had my new uprated shock and lowering spring setup fitted to my car today and am really pleased with the front end but im not sure about the back........

to me it doesnt really look any lower than standard and its got a kind of dragster stance with the back end higher than the front. i know the back is normally higher than the front but i dont know whether its supposed to be this high....

its lowered by 40mm btw

also check out how close to the road my chin spoiler is coming off my driveway!! :shock:

take a look and see what you think, opinions much appreciated :)

15072006323.jpg

15072006325.jpg

15072006322.jpg

15072006320.jpg

Front looks perfect, back does seem a little high :? I had a Koni kit fitted a few weeks ago and was also concerned with the drop- it didn't really look any different to standard. However, since then it does seem to have 'settled' a bit more, and I've been assured that it will still take a little while to reach it's proper height. The front and rear look similar though, unlike yours...

Did you have new rear bump stops? Think you're meant to hack a few mm's off. Not sure if this would affect the height like this though.

Alex, yr rado is mint.. I had the same problem when I first lowered my rado... ended up taking coils of the rear springs :lol:

cheers for the nice comments guys! :D

i was wondering whether they will be lower when they settle as well but i doublt they would settle enough looking at it :?

i used the original bump stops and was wondering about this but my mate who installed them rekons there is about an inch or two of travel above these in the rear arches......

Bally, do you mean you actully cut the rear springs down so they were shorter?

cheers,

I seem to be having the same problem as you Spykee and thats after changing the springs for a brand new set twice! i know it's a bit of a bodge but i'm seriously considering hacking off a few coils!

Sorry for all the questions but, did you get the kit from me (C&R)? What is the kit number on the guarantee card? What are the ride heights front and rear measured form the centre of the wheel to the edge of the arch at 12 o'clock?

will have to get back to you on these tomorrow if i need to get my measuring tape out :lol: :lol:

cheers,

get some ppl in the back mate and og for a long drive, bet it will help it settle a bit btter and lower

You need to pull out the rear dampers and cut down the rear bump stops by about 30-mm from the top and drop the rear spring plate at least one circlip position. This is the trouble with Weitec being sold by companies that don't include instructions as they are often quirky kits. We usually don't sell the 4 cyl cars kit as the front is too low. Preferring to sell the VR6 kit and compensate for the rear being 10-mm too low by bringing the spring pate up one circlip position.

can the circlips be adjusted? how do you get them off? they looked fixed to me as if they are part of the damper.......

there were some other grooves in the dampers though so what you are saying makes sense.

cheers,

Yes they can be moved. We have made a jig that allows the plate to be lifted in position to allow the circlip to be moved up or down. You may get the car down enough this way but the bump stops will be heavily loaded and the ride will die! Pull the dampers out and shorten them.

the paint was propbably sprayed on over the circlip, Koni do the same...

Exactly what thay do. The dampers are made by Alko.

ok, so let me get this straight..... the circlips can be moved but they look like they are fixed because the manufacturer sprays over them?

crasher, this jig of yours.... are you saying that you can use this to move the circlip without dismantling the shock so it could be done either on the car or in one piece off it?

cheers,

Thats exactly what we mean - rather annoying isn't it!

Stealth managed to move mine up a notch without taking them off using a pillar jack with the car on a lift - I tried and failed with spring compressors..

You could cut the bumpstops thru the springs with a long knife but if they've just been put on then everything should come apart fairly easily again...

The jig is designed to slide onto our gearbox jack and goes up under the cup with the damper in the car and the car on a lift (wheel off). We jack up the spring plate and use some special circlip pliers to open up the circlip and move it up or down as required and then slowly release the jack to drop the spring plate back onto the circlip. It saves about an hour and a half.

Interesting thread this Spykee

I also have a G-Werks Weitec kit. Only fitted a month or two back. My back end is sitting high just as yours infact identicle.

To be honest I was a bit ??? about it but left it alone. My front is awesome although at speed round the country lanes my front chin can scrape the ground :lol:

The rears have the circlip ect. I was wondering about moving it However as Crasher said I got no instructions with my kit. Infact it was a good job I've fitted kits before I think a novice could get a bit miffed when the rears are all in their bits n pieces.

Crasher you ask for measurements on the rears. Is it possible to have the wrong shox in the kit??

Keep us informed abiut what you decide to do.

Interesting thread this Spykee

I also have a G-Werks Weitec kit. Only fitted a month or two back. My back end is sitting high just as yours infact identicle.

To be honest I was a bit ??? about it but left it alone. My front is awesome although at speed round the country lanes my front chin can scrape the ground :lol:

The rears have the circlip ect. I was wondering about moving it However as Crasher said I got no instructions with my kit. Infact it was a good job I've fitted kits before I think a novice could get a bit miffed when the rears are all in their bits n pieces.

Crasher you ask for measurements on the rears. Is it possible to have the wrong shox in the kit??

Keep us informed abiut what you decide to do.

If anyone requires fitting instructions on any of our products we are allways on the end of the phone line and more than willing to help/offer assistance. This is one of the reasons why we dont do online buying so as that we can make sure the customer is getting the correct product first time. We do not agree with putting how-to guides in with the products we sell as it could mislead the buyer into having a crack at fitting there parts (on a sunday afternoon when you know nothings going to be open )when it should realy be left to a profesionall.

2DOOR - If you read through you should of found the paperwork you were supplied with at the time of purchase you would of noticed one part was the TUV and the other part explains who the adjustment on the rear dampers work.

Cheers Darren

i have to say that firstly i am extremely pleased with the service Darren has provided as well as his help since getting them in terms of answering any questions that i have had. :D :D

i ordered the kit on wednesday and they arrived by lunch time on thursday, couldnt get any better if you ask me! :D

the only reason i posted this thread up last night was to see if i could get other people's opinions whether it looked too high or not.

anyway, i have had the back end apart today to make adjustments and ended up removing the rear struts again completely as it was easier. i have used my spring compressors and moved the circlip to the lowest rung on the damper and i think its done the job nicely!

it now looks spot on front and back. take a look to see what you think now 8)

16072006326.jpg

16072006327.jpg

cheers,