Sign in to follow this  
corradostuff

VR Brakes versus 16v

Are standard VR6 front brakes better than standard 16v brakes? I'm wondering if putting VR6 callipers on my 16v would be an upgrade or is it pointless?

standard G60 and VR6 brakes ARE bigger than standard 16V brakes...

Is yours a 1.8 or 2.0 16V?

If it's a 2.0 you need calipers, carriers and disks from a G60 for a nice brake upgrade... If it's a 1.8 it depends if it's an early one or not as they have a different carrier which is built into the hub so you need to change quite a bit more!

Thanks for the advice Henny. I was interested because I saw some VR6 callipers for sale on the Forum. Trouble is they are callipers only so I guess I'd need carriers as well and possibly new discs and then it will get a bit too expensive to do at this moment in time. I was hoping the callipers alone could be swapped, wishful thinking I guess!!

The pad on a 16v is the same as a G60 and a 280-mm VR6 apart from the material being thicker and all the calipers have 54-mm diameter pistons.

Going up from 256 to 280 discs will give you the biggest advantage.....and also using the 23mm VR6 Master Cylinder (if it will fit on the 16V servo and hook up to the pedal OK). The 4 cylinder MCs are smaller, 22m I think.

I've got an early 1.8 16v and the G60 calipers and carriers went on no problem. It's an improvement over the standard 16v brakes for sure.

The ABS MC is 24-mm, well 23.81 anyway (358 611 019 D), but needs to be used with an ABS servo (358 612 107 A) which is a direct replacement for the non ABS unit. I have used this conversion a lot on Golf 1, 2 and 3 where I have fitted aftermarket front calipers and 38-mm rear calipers and the 22-mm cylinder wasn’t upto the job.