Sign in to follow this  
GRINGOG60

Flywheel?

Hi,

I exspect this question is on the forum already answered some where (probably in the bleedin obvious section) :p but...

Im thinking of getting a lightened flywheel from ridgeway racing.

I know it will make the revs spin up quicker but does it actually make the car quicker? + anyone already got one? :?:

Might make the car more prone to stalling as well ?? Could be wrong.

I'll put it in tuning and mods for you. Don't recall it being asked before.

It will make the car feel quicker because naturally it will be much more eager to rev. Only thing is that apparently they can cause the car to lose speed when travelling uphill, but i think this is only in extreme examples.

I have a very much lightened and ballanced flywheel fitted to my engine and have only noted improvements in pick up and performance over the standard slab. Stalling has not been a problem on pulling away, and excessive revs are not required to compensate for loss of inertia. the only aspect of this mod that does become apparent is the engine braking effect on overun. Given the mass of the standard flywheel i would recomend this mod very highly. I can supply on exchange basis lightened and ballanced flywheels for £125 plus p&p.

I always thought that lightened flywheels cost a fortune. Looks like another thing to put on my wish list :lol: :lol:

Hi guys,

Just a note on flywheels, i'm guessing that you are talking about the machined down std f/wheel?

The reduction in weight is an advantage for many reasons as mentioned but if you are going to do it, do it right, get a billet alloy machined flywheel and you'll not risk the machined std item fracturing and letting go, making a lovely mess of all it contacts.

I'll attach a picture of my 5lb in weight flywheel which cost £290. You get what you pay for, incidentally the ridgeway ones are 6lb in weight i believe but all are sexy in a nice anodized finish.

Chris