Sign in to follow this  
Spykee

Fuel Pump Relay?

right i finally think im losing the plot with my car now!

after forking out about £1k in the last 3 months and making me think its finally going really well the damn thing packs in on me again!

yesterday i took the car to get a new exhaust system built up for it at a local custom exhaust place and when we went to start it the damn thing wouldnt start! :mad:

in the end i had to get the AA to bring me home on a low loader :(

im thinking that its either the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay because i can normally hear the fuel pump whirring for a few seconds if i just turn the key to stg2 of the ignition but i cant hear it at all now.

the question is...... where is the relay on the fuse pannel for the fuel pump and what number is it? the bloke from the AA had a look at his wiring diagrams but they didnt correspond to my car, typical of my corrado :roll:

i really do hope its the relay and not the pump as i just had a quote and a new pump is £220!!! :shock:

all help much appreciated :)

cheers,

pump for an early Corrado G60 is £90ish from VW... I know 'cos I've one in the boot of my car at the moment waiting for me to get time to fit it! :lol:

Can't help tell you which relay it is though, sorry....

cheers for the info Henny :)

i have managed to get to the bottom of the fault at last but i still havnt fixed it as im not sure what the best thing is to do......

basically the circuit that the fuel pump and lambda sensor is on is shorting out. i had a closer check of the fuse and there was a very small break in it. when i replaced it as i plugged the new fuse in that blew as well :(

after some tests with my multi meter with the wiring at the fuel pump as well as the multi plug for the lambda up to the main loom i have managed to figure out that there is a short somewhere either between the fuse box and the lambda or the fusebox and the fuel pump.

i know that the lambda section of the cable that goes into the exhaust is ok as there is no resitance through the multi meter from the lambda mulit plug down to the lambda but there is from the multi plug up to the main loom.......

im now stuck with the best way to fix this, i know it means running new cable somehow but i cant find where the bloody cables go into the back of the fusebox and relay board to tap into it, even after looking at a wiring diagram..... its a maze of cables behind the fusebox which is in a right mess!!

i know that im looking for a red/white and a red/yellow cable but where on the back of the fuse board i dont know as well as not knowing if these go into the same multi plug :(

also do the original cables run underneath the car somewhere or do they run internally? im wondering if the bloke who did my exhaust yesterday has melted some wire insulation somewhere..........

any more help is much appreciated :)

cheers,

Fuel Pump relay is the one on the bottom row next to the door marked 167. Part number 191 906 383C

Im not sure in non VRs are different

i have already found out what relay it is, no 80 in position no 12 for my G60..... as i said above though i dont know how to locate the cables at the back of it? im after the red/yellow from the fuel pump as well as the red/white from the lambda wiring. :?

if i can check these with the lambda and the fuel pump disconnected i can find the short in the wiring so that i can run a fresh cable and fix the fault.

does anyone have any idea where behind the fuse box these cables are? its not that easy to see when your upside down in the footwell holding the fuse box in one hand, torch in mouth and searching for the correct cables with the other! :lol:

cheers,

The short will be at the lambda sensor plug on the right hand rear engine mount, where the red/white wire will be shorting to earth. The fuel pump relay provides the lambda sensor with its heater power.