Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Wheel bearings? Or worse?

Developed a problem which I had noticed intermittently on my old wheels, but which seems to have become more obvious since getting the suspension jacked up and the other wheels on...

Driving the car I occasionally get a bit of a clunk when pulling away from being stationary, but more seriously a droning when driving - increases with speed, changes volume depending on which which angle the steering is pointing.. sometimes doesn't happen, sometimes does... i'm thinking its wheel bearings on the front but I just don't know - i'm not very technical!

Anyone? :(

And just to add.. if I dip the clutch, the noise remains (ie its not dependent on engine / gearbox speed) and it seems to be coming from the front - can't be rear bearings as they were just changed before I bought it! :)

I've hit up the search and fairly sure it seems to be wheel bearings. Any idea on labour for doing these?

Cheers.

Does indeed sound like the classic bearing symptoms. Clunk could also be CV joint or engine mount.

I'll give you a hand to change stuff once you found the problem Jim, if yu like.

You could try checking the rubber boots on the front shafts; run your hand round them looking for cracks.

Make sure your subframe bolts are tight as the wishbones can shift when you move forward and brake ect. sounds like you have a wheel bearing off, jack up all fours and give them a spin.

Hi Jim, sorry to hear (sic) that. As always, could be any of above, and it's always tricky to tell just by listening which bearing might be the culprit. But for the clunk I'd deffo check the subframe bolts are at the correct torque setting - they might be 'tight' but I can tell you that the frame can move/creak if they are not right. And check eng mts too.

Just had my vr mot (breezed it) and had them check my suspect bearing; found it was slightly loose so re-torqued it and all is fine again (saved me some loot). Any front end work been done on yours recently, might be something worked loose as opposed to failing.

We've had the wheels off a few times in the last week after an attempt in Erics garage to raise the front suspension (but it was seized up) so went to our local friendly garage who were very thorough and unseized it and raised it and put everything back properly again.

To be honest the car has done it on and off since i've had it - I thought it might have just been excessive road noise with the wide wheels but putting more normal ones on shows that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Would be nice if it was just loose but I suspect its going to need some work somewhere...

Thanks for the offer Stuart - will see what Stealth say about costs because I need to get the car in for a service and good check over anyway before Germany so might just get them to do the lot if its not going to be a bank busting figure :)

from what you said before and here, sounds like the local garage might be far more cost effective for bearing change etc?

This is very true mate. Might pursue that option...

According to Nick, you will be at the National Day this weekend? :)

i would imagine the wide borbets and diff offset could put more burden on the wheel bearings.

A thorough check over should reveal all, then plain sailing to Germany. am jealous as my cousin is getting married and I would be joining you :(

Well popped by Stealth last night and Vince had an extended test drive (driving over to pick up his daughter and then dropping him back off at his house :)) but has confirmed that it seems to be front bearings.

Couldn't really get the noise to happen for any sustained amount of time until going into a gradual right hand turn where the noise came on loudly - I said to Vince "there you go..." and he said "Thats the noise of the engine Jim" - and then he dipped the clutch and it was still very loud to which he said "Ah.. yeah thats a bearing".

So gonna call up shortly and try get it booked in for the work. Apparently they're really busy atm though.. just hope I can get it sorted before Germany :(

Not still thinking about the local garage then? I had a front bearing recently which was making a pig of a noise by the end, and I found a local garage could fit it in quickly and did a good job.

Might be worth re-considering if Vince is all booked up.

Well Vince managed to book me in ok in the end. The only downer being that the wheel bearing job is an hour a side + parts + a 4 wheel alignment at the end. Sigh.

So thats going to be around £250 JUST for that. I do really like using Stealth but i'm going to have to start using local places for some of these jobs as I just dont have that kind of cash :(

I haven't approached them about it - they probably could - just a bit awkward now that its booked in with Stealth!