Sign in to follow this  
ziderapple

Sump scuffs on the floor..

Hi, I have a 94vr and it's sat on a lowering kit - I'm afariad I do not know which, has no markings on the struts except some stampped lettering, which appeared to be in French...IIRC, but I have only seen the rear struts. They are yellow with red springs (technical eh?! :lol: )

The problem I have is with the sump scuffing on the floor on nasty speed bumps when travelling aliitle too fast (only done the once) and when pulling on to my sloping drive - never had this on any previous lowered car. Just meausured the front and its 315mm ish from arch to wheel centre and 570ish arch to floor (parked on side of a cambered road at mo hence the ish ness! :wink: if you know what i mean). I have had some juddering pulling away problems which people on here have advised could be down to a worn engine mount. So basically does anyone else sump occasionally scuff on the floor? does it sound like a mount problem or worse? Also the protective shield on the exhaust scrapes on driveway too.

Thanks in advance.

hi mate the engine could of easily dropped if your engine mount is fecked!

also when lowered just on springs the car tend to be more bouncy so when travelling at speed the car is sat lower as on springs but is still bouncing about so sump will get quite close to floor if that makes any sense

the vr boys will be along in a mo but im sure they will tell you the best suspension set up for the vr6

cheers andy

570mm at the front fairly low but not excessive. In my sig pic, the front is about 590mm and it never hits the sump. I have been a lot lower than that and never caught the sump either, but the front spoiler used to catch all the time, so I jacked it back up again.

Maybe one or more engine mounts have gone and the engine is sitting a little lower than it should be as he /\ said?

My spoiler is a right biyatch, as is my cat heat guard thing. I scrape both just going over the concrete joints in my car park.

Yeah deffo the sump, I did an oil change yesterday and the front/bottom of it is all scraped, not really badly ie: no deep cuts but its getting a bit battered. The exhaust heat guard on mine also scrapes the floor. The car had a brand new sump on it when I bought it a month ago. Spoilers not a prob. It does appear as though one corner of the engine sits slightly lower, so back to mount again I suppose?? Does anyone know if theres a company out there who make a shallow sump?

Also what rpm does your vr tick over at? (all)

7-800

Which bit is sitting lower?

Probably advisable to do all 3 mounts, recommended for a standard car is a uprated front mount, standard rear mount and a Mk3 Golf Diesel gearbox mount.

zider apple if your engine mounts are fine the sump shouldnt really ever hit the floor mate! shrick do a sump for the vr i believe but thats mega expensive get engine mounts checked before looking at sump!also mate im changing my de cat for a straight thru pipes as ive battered my decat pipe getting in car parks and that!

The Vr lump is designed to sit slightly on the piss, so reduce torque steer apparently.

Just think yourself lucky you dont have a alloy sump like some of us....

from what i remember being said in the past (information regurgitation here) isnt it reasonably common for very low G60's to catch their sumps?

my vr ticks over around 600-700... something to be concerned about?

Looking at the engine the righthand side appears ever so slightly lower. Think I'll get the mounts looked at. Wish I lived close to Stealth.

Stealth is close..... I'm in Bristol and I always take mine there now...