Sign in to follow this  
G60Jet

Advanced Motoring Test

I completed a 3 week response course 2yrs ago to enable me to use the nice blue flashing lights and sirens. 5 days a week for 8hrs with 2 other people on the same course :nuts:

The instructor was awesome and really pushed you through the A roads, B roads, Motorway and through the lanes. I had to pass an exam on the system of car control and the Highway code before i was even allowed on the course. Plus i even did skid pan training.

And after all that (which is recognised as an I.A.M license) some insurance companies said it would cost me more a year if i disclose that i had passed the course....WTF!!!! :shocked!:

F****n insurance companies. Rant over!

G60JET- I'm a copper mate (a tidy one so don't hold that against me!!) and we all have to complete the course so we can use the blues & two's for response calls.

reekieVR's summary is pretty much spot on with a lot af the course i did. And the book he mentions 'ROADCRAFT' The Police Drivers Handbook is the one i had to read from cover to cover for the exam i mentioned. Its all about the system of car control and driving from A-B as quickly, but more importantly, as safely as possible by reading the 'limit points' of the road.

A limit point is the furthest point of the road that you can see when you're driving. For example:-

1) If the point stays static when you're approaching it you're at the correct speed.

2) If the point moves away from you you can take the bend faster.

3) If the point starts to move towards you then you're carrying to much speed and need to slow down before you get to the bend.

The book is well worth buying. Its all about reading the road, surroundings, other road users and throwing you're observations right out ahead of you so you are prepared way before you get to that point. :)

If you do your IAM its the first step to being able to become a driving instructor which could be a good thing

Who told you that rubbish ? I've just qualified as an ADI and am not a member of the IAM. I have been on one of their days, and outdrove the lot of them. IAM is a private members club and completely separate from the DSA, although in the last couple of years the DSA has monitored and approved their methods, teaching and testing. FYI the route to becoming a driving instructor involves 3 tests, none of which involve the IAM. ADI Pt.1 is the same theory and hazard perception test done by all learner drivers now, except there are 100 multiple choice questions (85% req'd) and the pass rate for the HP clips is a little higher. ADI Pt.2 involves a 1hr driving test during which you can commit no more than 6 minor driving faults. ADI Pt.3 (which I passed last Wednesday on my 1st attempt) involves a 1hr test where a senior examiner role plays being a student of two different levels (beginner and test standard) to ensure you are teaching the DSA prefered method of driving detailed in the "Driving Essentials Handbook" and correctly advising on the Highway Code and Road Traffic Act whilst. I have also done several training sessions with a Police pursuit driver using the Roadcraft techniques, and this is my favoured driving style. The DSA wouldn't like me to teach it my clients though.

I done my advanced test based on the system.

If its an ex copper your going out with expect trouble,and find it hard to pass.

I've also done the smiths american system,very good as well.

they are both benificial and make you think.

If people pass and then dont maintain thier dicipline thats thier problem.

But I would add that some IAM members are rover wearing hat drivers

Iam is like the cubs/scouts,pass on a certain vehicle and get a differant colour badge.

Pupils are only as good as thier instructors

Good luck Jet,you will enjoy it

chubbz

Glad you passed,when I did it was such an anti climax.

I needed somthign to restore the faith after going down a hill sideways on blackice in a Propane tanker,yewwwwww

I can laugh now lol

I needed somthign to restore the faith after going down a hill sideways on blackice in a Propane tanker,yewwwwww

I can laugh now lol

:shock: Yeah, that'd be a little "interesting"! :shock: