Sign in to follow this  
G60Jet

Advanced Motoring Test

Hi Guys

Has anyone done the Advance Test from I.A.M.

I've just signed, £85 for the course/test.

seems worth it to me

i was supposed to do it about 6 years ago, but fractured my wrist (at Tae Kwon Do... you deviants!!!) - my cousin took my booking a did it anyway and had great things to say about it.

let us know how it goes as i might still give it a go sometime.

Basically you do a series of observed runs to get you up to the skill level then you do the test when they think your ready.

Cool :cool:

Do you get like extra qualifications/levels or something for it? :)

Have fun :)

As i'm 25 I can get it for £75.. really should take this at some point!

Typical that most insurers wont even recognise it though!

Its worth doing just for the exam- which is an hour drive with a police class 1 examiner...

The observed runs very much depend on which observers you get...

Maybe a controversial view but I know a few people who have taken this test, without a doubt they have been the most sanctimonious and dithering drivers I have ever come across

Had an 8 hr advanced driving lesson in the tiv from Ride Drive. Was great but, dont expect it to be easy. Advanced driving is pretty hard to get right and passing a test in it would be even harder i reckon.

Very usefull stuff though. Techniques and tips to make everyday driving a lot quicker and safer ( esp in a tvr :D )

Hey - VR6 on TG - uktv2 as i type ! Whose was it again ?

Haha - ' The Corrado VR6 - A Complete Flop'.

I can pictures richard hammond doing the 10 to 2 wanker hand shuffle when talking about the advanced driving people! :lol:

I have done this. About 5 years ago. i partically chose Winter and was lucky to have plenty of very bad weather conditions including much snow which was where I especially wanted further training.

I did not find it hard, but helpful in improving your driving, observations especially and lines to take on the road to aid this.

The exam with a Traffic Cop is a straught Pass of Fail.

I agree it is very much down to the observor from the IAM as to how much you gain from the experience. All I would say, is swop Observer if you are not happy for any reason with the one given to you.

I have not ever managed to get cheaper Insurance - but heh !

I understand the one that is much more recognised and gives grades to level of ability is the ROSPA Advanced Driving Certificate. One day I may do this - oh, for cheaper fuel prices.

Enjoy

Interesting post G60. Let us know how you got on soon then. As said by Kite, the feedback you get can differ depending on the Observer* you get. *these people are giving up thier free time to advise you to get to test standard.

... Question: any one know what the deal is with expirey dates; I mean do you have to re-test every year or what?

I though about doing it just for the insurance drop; but now its reasonable Im no longer that interested. Im more interested in staying alive and the teachings I have had on the bike are more than good.

You'll even see from posts here that people are divided. Many peeps see the letters written as "I am" as in I am a great driver; not a good thing.

I have a mate who like to drive quickly. Handles the car very well. He mentioned doing the I AM test. Boy oh boy would he have to change drastically - like sticking to the speed limits, especially built up areas, not drive on the ragged edge and also quit taking the racing line and take a wide well observed line around bends. Its all about risk observation!

bad weather conditions including much snow which was where I especially wanted further training.

Because theres a lot of snow on those mountains in Oxford! :lol: - just kiddin

I need to point out there is a difference between IAM and 'the system'. The session i had was based on the system: partly about risk observation, and partly about how to drive fast. It is how the police are taught to drive quickly and safely. I am not really sure how much of it correlates with an IAM lesson/test.

I'll try to brake it down for those who are interested ( it will be good for me!)

Observation:

Its basically all stuff that a biker needs to know, and that a car driver normaly doesnt notice. EG:

looking out for micro-climates ( damp, wet leaves, rough surface, generally less grip ) under trees and shaded areas.

Watching out for skid marks as a hint that something may be catching other drivers out.

Actually reading signs and adding this info to any decisions you make.

Looking up and out, not just at the 10 yard area infront of you.

So, you gather all this extra information (which passes you by when on 'auto pilot'), and add it to your normal driving routine. You become more alert to your surroundings, are less likely to find yourself in a suprising situation, and if you do, you can formulate a better plan to get out of it safely.

Speed:

Speed limits were NOT a major topic. The safe speed to drive along any particular stretch of road was. As per my normal driving, i always keep to 20 / 30 mph limits. NSL limits - all bets are off.

Corners:

Driving on the 'racing line' is not advisable on a road unless you can actually see over hedges etc, so the rest of the time, you need to be get around the corner on your side of the road with as little grief and as much speed as possible.

My course was aimed specifically at handling torqy (?) rear wheel drive sports cars. In tivs, you really cant afford to be unsettling the car / doing other manouvers in the middle of a bend. If you are braking and turning at the same time, the torque of the engine will be trying to lock your rear wheels ( less weight on them ) while your foot tries to lock the front ones ( assuming you havnt got perfect heal toe technique ). The tyre with the most grip on it will become a pivot ( outside front ) and into a spin you go.

So you need to complete your braking well before you start turning. Also, you dont want to be changing gear in the middle of a corner. Engaging the clutch forces the wheels to drag the engine ( no shit sherlock !) speed to match the new gear ratio - but its as effective as pulling on the handbrake in torqy rwd cars.

So the ideal setup to take a fast corner is: just before you turn in, you should be going at the correct speed, in the correct gear, with both hands on the steering wheel ( in case of emergency opposite lock requirements ). During the corner you should have an even throttle, so as the car is a flat and balanced as possible. As the vanishing point begins to move away you apply the throttle steadily, allowing the rear to drift out slightly ( this will help you get the car and wheels pointing straight, earlyer ). As soon as the car begins to settle - with equal weight over the rear wheels ( still under steady acceleration ), you can floor it.

The old addage is true: slow in, fast out.

This may not be as important in a fwd car, but using the same technique can increase both your speed and safety. I try to put these techniques into practice in the VR and find that it helps smooth my driving out a lot. My passengers agree !!

I dont know if the'system' is a good or bad method. Some people find it usefull others not. I am not really bothered about IAM or advanced driving. I do know that the margin for error in my tiv is a LOT less than in the VR, and 'the system' ( which AIM and the police use ) seems to provide a good set of tools to manage the loonacy.

BTW: at some point an advanced motorist will tell you about this book: Roadcraft: The Police Driver's Handbook. Its pretty usefull and you can take or leave bits as you like. It does describe 'the system' very well. And is worth a read for the sake of a tenner. ( great for reading on the shitter. You can read up on a technique and mull it over ... )

cher...ching!

Perfect summary there dude, I did the test many years ago and failed (I was a young lad of 22 years) but learnt a lot about observation.

The system is a good way of driving though I feel the IAM is a waste of time, not many insurers if any offer decent discounts.

Perfect summary there dude, I did the test many years ago and failed (I was a young lad of 22 years) but learnt a lot about observation.

The system is a good way of driving though I feel the IAM is a waste of time, not many insurers if any offer decent discounts.

If £85 helps me drive safer and with a better understanding of the road then im happy with that.

Yeah G60 Jet, small price to pay for invaluable education I guess :oops:

My old driving instructor taught me the IAM stuff, halved the price of his regular driving lesson fees because he wanted me to be on his books as an instructor. Needless to say I let him down when I failed but that's the way the cookie crumbles . . .

It seems like a load of old bollocks to me, if I'm honest. I know a few members of the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists and they're mostly pretty poor riders in my opinion. However, if you're approaching it as more of a training course than something that gives you bragging rights then that's got to be a good thing. Best of luck with it all the same.

£85 seems very high compared to the £20ish I paid for the test element in 2001. Didn't pay at all for the weekly Observer sessions. I would check/confirm this.

If I recall correctly, a reTest is required every year to keep the Qualification valid. I didn't bother.

Seems to me also that the course content differs greatly region to region, so I would check what exactly is involved to ensure you gain what you are hoping to achieve prior to parting with any monies.

Ref the Snow in Oxfordshire comment - well, what would you know liveing in down town Warwickshire !! :lol: :lol:

The £85 you pay is for the Test, and as many tests as you need to get to to the standard. there is a membership fee and thats dependent on your regional group. Its about £8.50 here iirc. I'm doing it more for the course and the skill for life than any of there rest of it. I've not seen anything about a retest every year...but again..if that were the case then I'm not interested.

Hi Guys,

Just an update, I passed the advanced test this morning with a former police patrol officer. I can honestly say that the course and test has been a great experiance and happy to of done it. IMHO well worth the £85. As the IAM says Its a "skill for life".

For anyone interested here is the IAM website http://www.iam.org.uk/

I'm thinkin of doin this soon too, dad's done it on his bike and has said when interpreted correctly it can help a lot on country roads, which is where I do most of my overtaking so it can only be good I think.

It is well worth it.

The manual they send you is miles better than the highway code (which in comparison reads like a childs book), and there really are things to learn no matter good a motorist you think you are.

Ultimately it makes you a safer motorist.