Sign in to follow this  
adamukcorrado

Mystery steam/smoke........

Ok, here is a puzzler for you!

it first happened about 4 months ago, pulled up at roundabout and noticed steam (or smoke?) coming from drivers side front corner of bonnet/wing, thought rad or hose had gone but all seemed ok so put it down to a puddle splashing on the hot engine.

has happened 4-5 times since, in completely dry conditions so is definatley coming from car.

i have since fitted all brand new hoses and new radiator (all VAG).

it's running perfectly, uses no coolant at all. all electrics seem fine and has no evidence of it when bonnet is up. can smell a bit exhausty in car when accerating hard.

Any ideas?? would like to find what it is before it develops into smothing more serious!

any noise or smell when it happens ?

possibles....

water pump

oil dripping on the inlet manifold from a breather pipe

tensioner bearing seizing would make the belt smoke

wiring problem (a live earthing) wiring chaffing

is there any residue on the bonnet or inner wing ?

check the inlet manifold mate , near the throttle body, sometimes i've known the breather pipes drip onto the hot manifold and give off smoke, look for staining

Paul

i've had a good look again, and one of the branches of the manifold is speckled and the inlet breather above is leaking oil,

how much oil should there be? is it best to simply seal the breather better to prevent leakage, or to try and reduce the amount of oil within it?

can't be ideal to have that oil going in through the inlet manifold etc- specially when you consider the efforts and expense to ensure cold clean air is sucked in!

i'm also going to tidy up the wiring just in case as there are several areas looking really scabby and will be better to sort now then when problems start occuring, where can i get more of the fabric tape the loom is wrapped in? VW or somewhere like halfords? (my local branch doesn't stock it)

further to my previous post a month or so ago about random clouds of smoke coming from drivers wing for no apparent reason....

the problem has developed and now it is clear that the engine is blowing oil out from behind the altenator, (all over BMC and belt etc), apart from this it is running beautifully, uses no water and (i thought) no oil.

i guess i'm looking at a dead head gasket??

really frustrated as it's the second time the gasket has been replaced in the last year!!!! (previously when chains were done and when re-con head was fitted) i've had the car 18 months spent around £6K on it only ever using genuine VAG bits and it still breaks down on a monthly basis!

Finally fixed both problems and they where unrelated, A core plug had blown behind the alternator belt which was blowing oil every where, but also the breather pipe on the air in take was occasionally dripping oil through a badly connected joint on to the manifold, - the problem was made worse as there was a blanking grommet missing from the bulkhead which was allowing the smoke and fumes to enter the cabin.

- Both nice cheap fixes for a change! :cheers: