Sign in to follow this  
CorradoDriver

Which pads?? go to last post please

Hey

I was driving my car today on the highway, doing about a buk 10 hah racing a gti lol anyways, when i pressed the brake to slow down the car started to shake really hard, once i let up on the brake pedel it was fine even at low speeds it shakes when i brake for some reason, any ideas, it only happens when i brake

Do you feel some feedback through the brake pedal as you're braking too.. in time with the shakes through the car? If thats the case then I would definately agree with Tom.

Time for new discs..

Yhea a bit, question im a little short on money right now, it wont hurt the car if i dont change them for another month or so?? i just bought a sub and amp, couldnt resist lol

1. Discs*

2. Possibly weights come off wheels and thus unbalanced; have a look

3. Loose brake caliper - although unlikely.

* look for people breaking thier cars who have reasonably new discs and pads for cheapest option; or fleabay; or bit the bullet and buy off a shop.

Presume ABS all okay too?

Well its up to you how long you leave em really.. but brakes are what will stop you from having a bad accident. A subwoofer won't. Just depends on how much you value your own life I suppose!

lol, true but its mostly at high speeds, il cut back or wear lighter shoes, i couldnt resist a Gti flew by me and i had to show him what a Corrado is made of, i mean i kept up with him but he has 200bhp i have 178 bhp

is it sort of smooth judder that makes the car shake slightly under braking or a violent judder that pulls the car to one side? if its the latter it could even be a cracked brake disk, i had that happen to me after a bit of high speed braking, and it reduced some nearly new brake pads to nothing within about 20 miles as the disk was slicing chunks out of the pads every time i pressed the pedal.

i was pretty lucky the disk didnt explode, which did happen to a friend of mine on the motorway who wrote the car off into the barrier.

check the front and rear of the disk for any signs of cracking and if they are cracked dont use the car until they are changed.

its more of a smooth judder when braking but i will definetly check if they are cracked dont want to do damage to the car, lol maybe by the end of the month ill pick up some front brembo rotors off of ebay and wagner brake pads from my local store, quick question though whats so special about cross drilled rotors??

Sorry, didnt know it was high speed. As we've all said, sounds like discs + pads, you need new ones.

Had it been wheel weights, then yep you'd feel it at high speed without braking. Nearly no judder at low speed but braking can exagerate the problem.

It'll do you good to check over the brakes.

maybe the tracking is out? Mine is out at the moment and when braking it does pull a bit and skips about under breaking?

Cross drilled rotors are a bad idea unless you've done a big brake conversion, the holes weaken the disc and they often crack around the holes. Not such a problem if they are good quality big discs that are man enough to take drillings, but are more trouble than they're worth on cheap discs. I know for a fact that a lot of manufacturers only produce them in small sizes and thicknesses because people demand them for aesthetic reasons. Oh and you need to regularly clear the build up of dust in the holes or they'll have the same effect as standard discs.

Anyway, the idea of them is to dissipate the gases given off by the braking and help prevent brake fade. Stick with standard ones unless you frequently drive on twisty roads where you are using the brakes a lot and suffer from fade.

MM okay i guess ill stick with regular rotors, i saw some on ebay, drilled that is, same size as my current one so i thought it wouldnt be a bad idea to get them Brembo i think they were but any ways because u said so ill stick with normal stock rotors

Thanks

One more question, are pagid pads any good?? i think they are oem but i dont know im getting them for 37 dollars which is like 20 pounds and pro stop rotors for 20 each which is like 11 pounds i also found wagner pads for 52 dollars, any suggestions

Each person has there own favourites, but I've not heard much bad about the Pagid pads. Certainly heard good things about them in comparison to cheaper brands and your usual Halfords ribbish.

Oh and you need to regularly clear the build up of dust in the holes or they'll have the same effect as standard discs.

I have to blast my holes with an air line once a month for that very reason!

Not heard of Hawk pads, but pads aren't mega expensive, so if you don't like them, change for something else :-) Takes a while to find the tyres and brakes you get on with.....all trial and error.