Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Coolant leak advise needed

Ive recently aquired a leak from the gear box end of my VR6. Just below where the hoses join the engine ive got a nice little puddle sitting on the gear box.

Ive checked the hoses and cant see anything obvious. It only appears to leak just after the car has been run.

Has anybody had the same problem or does anyone have any words of wisdom on how to sort it??

These can be a real pain to find. Does it loose a lot of fluid? If so, I'd be hoping to see the leak when the system is running. If the hoses are old, it maybe worth changing them anyway.

My C is same type as yours and a 1995.

I changed most of coolant hoses to Samcos about 3 years ago but all the original hoses looked good for several more years.

The original hose clips are not good, though, and you could try changing some for the ones you can screw up tight (best go for stainless steel types, not cheapos).

When I had similar small colant leaks from previous cars, these were always successfully fixed by giving the screw on the hose clips an extra tighten.

Its a bit of a stange one because when the car is running it appears the dripping stops but one i knock the engine off thats when the leak starts and it keeps going until the car cools down. It has started to get noticeably worse over the last couple of days.

craigowl, How many hoses are included in the Samco kit and how much did it set you back if you dont mind me asking?? Am tempted to upgrade while sorting this out.

Appreciate the advise guys.

Cheers

Eight hoses in kit, Goldie 197.

Two are for air/fumes, though. Located at top and windscreen side of engine.

(Use search - I had to put on photos on forum to ask guys where they went - even the VW "technician" did not know!)

I chickened out of using one of those, though. as it dispensed with some sort of valve the original had.

Cost was £247 in 2004, including VAT and delivery from Revolution in Gateshead who were OK to deal with.

Samco themselves get 0 out of 10 for customer support, though.

There is not one line of info in the box about the hoses or where or how to install them.

I sent an e-mail to them and the reply made me decide I would rather staple my ears to a horse than buy anything off them again.

I believe another manufacturer does them - ask or search on forum.

Good luck, anyway.

Iain

Don't know if it helps much but my VR was also losing a bit of coolant recently and i just could not find where from. Anyhoo, a couple of weeks ago the heater matrix gave up the ghost and since it's been bypassed I am not losing a drop.

Giveaway signs (I know now!) are 'filming up' on the inside of the windscreen where coolant is being pushed out the vents and a mild whiff of G12 inside the car. The only problem is, to inspect your matrix properly it's a dash out job!!!!

Good luck :)

when we rebuilt my vr a couple of weeks ago we had huge problems with the shitty little 90p gasket inside the housing where all the pipes join the block.....we4ll worth investigating for 90p....

Fairly sure it coolant. Would the clutch slave leak be very thin liquid and would it evaporate from the road??

The level has definitely fallen. Dont get me wrong its not empty and i did pop a bit extra in the other day.

Thermostat housing, plastic inner rim fails and allows the "O" ring to the head to creep inwards causing a coolant leak onto the box.