Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

Ok, so which coilies are fully adjustable/best for the track

Hi

Can someone remind me which coilies (vr fitment) are compression AND rebound adjustable? I thought avo's were, but it appears not?

I want something serious for a bit of trackage. Ride comfort is not an issue. Budget max 800 really but hey ho, it's my rado so the sky's the bleedin limit I guess :oops:

Any thoughts on which coilies I should be getting. I'm going to be really stiffening up the C with ARB's, a half cage and braces/scaffold, but probably keeping 15 inch wheels for a bit of side wall relief - but basically I want to make it as stiff as possible.

What about PSS9 and the clubsport H&R's???

hi Will, there are loads mate, fk konigsports. kw variant 2/3?? h&r do them. spax also do some. bilstein Pss9. :wink:

konigsports etc are only one-way adjustable mate. i'm after compression and rebound. and height obviously.

the only ones i know are the kw v3's

H&R's are no longer adjusatble for compression and rebound they come pre set from the factory to match the suppiled spring rates.

V3's are i would expect Gaz/Leda ohlins etc could also build you a bespoke set should you require also.

HTH Darren

How much are you doing the h&r clubsport or whatever they're called for Darren? The hardest ones. Can you get em?

Yes We are a suppiler for H&R i will confirm current prices and stock availability for you Will.

try powerstation for AST coilovers, they are def both comp and rebound adjustable and also have a separate oil res for each shock.

Only if you pay extra.....will only has £800 to spend. AST are up their own ar$es anyway and think everything is crap except theirs.....they're dutch, Koni are dutch, Konis leak....say no more.

Will, do you want two way adjustable or combined base adjustable Bump/rebound?

2 Ways (seperate adjusters for bump and rebound) will set you back a minimum of £1000, maybe more.

Since bump and rebound are closely related, most manufactures combine the adjustment, so unless you know suspension inside and out, 2 and 3 way adjustables might be a waste of cash.

The hardest of all hardcore is Leda's Emulsified Gas 3 way adjustable kit.....but you need £3K for that :-)

Also look at Protech (if they can be bothered to talk to you) and GAZ. GAZ are doing me a B & R kit as we speak.....

TBH Kev I just want decent adjustability (not too arsed about 2-way).

I'm selling a few bits and bobs so maybe i can stretch to a grand.

I just want some monster coilies that will go seriously stiff :)

Also consider solid front top mounts to go with the coilovers, phatvr6 had them on his and im sure he rated em highly.

Yes I have adjustable MED top mounts on mine too, to get more caster. They work a treat. Noisy though.

Noise is fine mate - there's going to be no interior trim, carpets, etc! :)

Good good.....well get yourself on here then mate and purchase some adjustable TMs! http://www.motorsportengineering.co.uk/index.htm

They are the absolute stones mate. They use proper SKF spherical bearings, so last well on and off track.

MED-1072.gif

For the track, I'd recommend you use the maximum amount of caster the mounts permit (+5 degrees) and set the camber on the struts, to about 2.5 degrees negative. If you want more caster, you'll need to radically modify the turrets. Cut the cups off and weld in a thick steel plate in their place with an offset hole (further toward the bulkhead). 7-10 deg caster would be lovely, but the steering will be majorly heavy unless you overdrive the PAS pump :-)

Leave front ARB standard, fit rear ARB. 28mm Neuspeed if you've got big hairy maracas, or a 25mm Neuspeed or Eibach if you've a couple of wee grapes.

Front Brace - Yes

Rear Brace - Yes (or cage)

Battery in boot or better still, behind passenger seat.

Stiff springs - at least 500lb/in front and 350ish lb/in rear.

Rebound at minimum rear, Half rebound front

Quaife is a must

Toyo R888s

Battery isolator switch

Fire extinguisher

All surplus interior shieeete binned

Padding on roll cage

Etc and etc and etc....

That'll get you started and you can make adjustments from there..... should be a good crack!

Cheers The Wire! :) Good info.

I've already sourced a half-cage. Am thinking of scaffold pole weldedacross rear as well.

Quaife/pelo definately plus final drive.

So what suspension are you talking mate? Gaz?

GAZ will do anything you like, as will Leda, Protech etc etc.... but I think you should start with an off the shelf product to get a feel of what you need the car to do for you......so try the Bilstein PSS9 or H&R RSS clubsport, which ever is the cheaper as they're the same.

Id agree with most of what Kev says above, but ive found the Eibach front arb to work well and I always have the rear adjusted to over twice as many turns as the front on the rebound. I wouldnt mind getting a thicker rear arb myself though, standard eibach just now.

How much did the front top mounts cost Kev? Cant see a price on the site.

That's exactly it Joe, it's all trial and error on the track, go with what works, although I'd never run that much rear rebound on the road!!

I found the front Eibach ARB causes too much understeer, so binned it. I'm an oversteer man :-)

MED top mounts are £160. Sounds a lot, but they are the best I've seen. Bearings are replacable at £12 a pair. You can call them direct, they've got a good mail order service.

double-6s, Nope. You get what you're given! You can buy 2.5" springs from anywhere though, but the H&R/Bilstein bump and spring rates are tuned for eachother and tuned very well indeed. If you want something custom, you're looking at a 4 week build time, which is the only negative.

Time is not really a problem mate. Going to take me a while to get all the bits together anyway.

So your Gaz coilies were 800 and you specified the springs?

They were a bit more cause they cocked up on the price, so £900 all in.

That's pretty reasonable for a base adjustable B/R kit with progressive springs. Leda would want £1800 for the same spec.

Yep, you can tell Gaz exactly what spring rate you want, I think they use Eibach coils. My kit is tuned for B road compliance, so pretty soft at 275lb/in at the front and 210lb/in at the rear. My current H&Rs are 400lb/in front and 280lb/in rear which are way too hard for B road blasting, slightly bouncy over undulations.

If ride comfort isn't a slightest bit of a concern, I've seen some racing VWs use 800lb/in front springs and 600lb/in rears.