Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

URGENT HELP NEEDED - WINDOW SWAP

Im changing the drivers window.

Ive got my door panel off, the bolts on the window undone, but how the hell do I get it off the runners?

Im also changing the weather strip, how do I remove the triangular plastic at the front (outside)?

There's a glued on pad at the bottom right of the glass that clips into the runner, it should detach if you wiggle it about?

There's a glued on pad at the bottom right of the glass that clips into the runner, it should detach if you wiggle it about?

Do you mean this part? if so then its stuck fast.

think i used to drill the rivets out of the runners,but if you not using this window again either prise of the pad (like kev said)or cut it off with sharp knife.

What about the new one though? It has the pad fitted already (its second hand), how do I get around that? Remove and refit?

Yep, the pad is factory fitted and when they break off, it causes the infamous window rattle.

I've never replaced the glass, only the entire regualtor/motor mech, which needs the rivets drilling out as big panties says.....so I can't really help much.

I think the pad must slide into the regulator runner somehow, but feck knows how you do it. Is there not a gap top or bottom to slot it into?

It can slide in at the top, but how do I get the lifting bars (dont know name) off the window? When the window is at mid point they extend to the end of the runner/lifter but I cant then move the window forwards or back to get it of the rail.

Think I may well have to remove that guide, and then stick it back on, unless someone else knows???

the window lifter bars are held to the glass by a ball joint type effort if you pull them away from the glass they come apart

Replaced the glass recently on my passenger side.

I removed door card and pulled off both the interior and exterior seal bits that butt up to the glass.

Just pull the the lifter bars off the rollers as funky says.

Should then be able to wangle the glass out towards outside of vehicle- the pad referred to on mine was stuck fast so a couple of mins jiggling it about gets it out

My new window had the pad stuck fast too - i just greased the runner up and jiggled it about to get it it in - took 10mins of wiggling about but it went in, then push the lifters back on and bolt the middle bit back.

Stick a bit of electrical insulation tape along the edge of the door the exterior seal goes on to stop the glass scratching on it before fitting the new glass.

Took about 15 mins in total...and I took the oppourtunity to clean the exterior seal as from the inside it looked a bit green.

Managed to get it sorted, by pulling the lifter bar as described above, cheers guys ;)

Also put my new weather strip on, looks loads better now 8)