Sign in to follow this  
darren

Chomping point

I have a VR6 and would like to raise the biting point of the clutch as it is very close to the floor, any ideas? By changing the clutch fluid/bleeding the clutch, this will presumably help but if not (as I have tried bleeding the clutch before now) how do raise the biting point? It's really bugging me now :x

Thanks

Not sure its adjustable on a hydraulic system is it? It probably means your clutch is wearing out. Might pay to bleed it anyway though, not a difficult or time consuming job.

Nope, it's not adjustable, where it bites is where it bites unfortunately.

I did read on here somewhere though that a biting point that's right at the bottom of the travel is a sign of a worn/wearing out slave or master cylinder.

Also new clutches obviously bite at the bottom as it has a full compliment of friction material. if it bites right at the top, it's worn.

Thanks Andy/Kev. I agree, the clutch can't be worn as it bites low down. I will try replacing the clutch fluid first rather than worry about a knackered slave cylinder, any idea what clutch fluid is best? It's just 5.1 brake/clutch fluid isn't it? Come to think of it, it must be fed from the brake fluid resevoir, therefore I will need to bleed the brakes as well won't I? Apologies for all the questions.

Just normal hydraulic (Dot 4?) or above fluid will do nicely, just the standard stuff from Halfords, not the silicone based stuff. The clutch shares the brake fluid reservoir but no you shouldn't need to touch the brakes, just make sure your fluid level in the reservoir doesn't drop to far from the top.

I'll be creating a cocktail though. I will have to bleed the brakes as well then. :( Nipples snapping etc etc. Thanks

Just use DOT 4 if thats whats already there and you can bleed the clutch from the slave without touching the brakes.

Use an Eezibleed kit - if nothing improved then look for signs of a leak around the slave and the line to it.

I have bled the slave in the past but I am going to bleed the brakes/clutch slave and replace whatever is in the resevoir with dot 5 or 5.1. I'll use my trusty piece of petrol hose with split in it and old pencil jammed in the end draped into a milk bottle to catch the waste! Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

It's silicon based, and will rot away your seals. Dot 5.1 is the same as Dot 4, but has a higher boiling point.

DOT 5 is one of several designations of brake fluid denoting a particular mixture of chemicals imparting specified ranges of boiling point.

DOT 5 is a silicone based brake fluid. It is not compatible with any polyethylene glycol based fluids.

Unlike polyethylene glycol based fluids it is not hygroscopic, however this means that instead of being dissolved, any water in the system will eventually find its way to the lowest point in the brake line, corroding it, and potentially boiling and causing brake failure. Because of this, and other reasons (such as compatibility, cost, and lack of advantage over regular fluids) it is no longer used very much.