Sign in to follow this  
martinb

Twitchy rear end.....

picked my raddo up last night and overall i am very pleased with it however i have noticed that if you hit a bump mid corner the back end feels a bit twitchy.

I was just wondering if this is a common fault and what could be causing it? Im sure its something simple such as bushes or something but this is the 1st time i have had a corrado and i have had it less than 24hrs so dont know that much about em yet.. :oops:

Cheers

Martin

Sounds like your rear suspension mate, I had a similar problem and had to replace the shocks.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

doh, oh well i got the car cheap enough its not the end of the world....will get shocks checked 2mo then.

Cheers for the reply and welcome!! 8)

Sounds like rear axle bushes... before i did mine the back end would feel very wobbly/unstable/floaty (best description i can manage) round corners and under breaking. Did my rear axle bushes and its now solid as a rock.

Mine used to be really twitchy at the back end too, I changed the rear suspension bushes, which helped alot, and also set the ride height up so the rear is about 5mm higher than the front measured from the floor to the top of the wheel arch, this also helped. Now mine handles really well.

Whereabouts in Essex are you?

Definitely get the rear beam bushes checked - mine was a bit skitty before I had them done and now it feels absolutely planted.

Good chance to give the beam a good clean up as well!!! :D

Sounds like rear axle bushes... before i did mine the back end would feel very wobbly/unstable/floaty (best description i can manage) round corners and under breaking. Did my rear axle bushes and its now solid as a rock.

lol that sums up the symptoms perfectly, i had a look at the shocks last night and they look fine so yeah it really does sound like the bushes! I saw a letter in one of the VW magazines which mentioned they were quite a common thing that needs doing on corrados.

Cheers for all the replies everyone :D

Martin - what you got, a VR6?

Although these are a heavy car, they can be well balanced. Are they on standard wheels and suspension?

If so, how old are they. They could be a bit naffed, so I'd be suspicious of those. However, before doing that, its easiest to check the tyre pressures. If you read this informative TYRE site, you can get some idea there. But in simple words, messing with the pressures close to STANDARD, of about +/- 2psi. Over or under inflated rears could easily be the cause of back end twitching. Just as easily a badly worn set of rear tyres could be the cause. My top tip is to check the cheapest (free) stuff firstly.

You'll find a slightly lowered C on 16 or 17" alloys is a sublime experience.

Stu