Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Creaking sound from clutch

Been getting a creaking sound coming from the clutch when I lift off. Seems worse first thing in the morning, and sometimes also seems to come from the brake pedal :?

It's getting worse and seems to be coming from inside the car under the dash. It doesn't happen when I change gear when the car is stationary, only happens on the move.

I took the dash panel out below the steering wheel and lubed up all the mechs etc, but it just appears to be getting worse.

Very occasionally, I can also feel a slight click through the pedal.

Please tell me my clutch isn't going! It doesn't slip or anything. Could it be the gearbox mount?

Cheers.

get somebody to work the clutch,pop your head in the bay to just make sure were its coming from,it could be resonating through the bulk head,if its inside and you lubed the pedal shaft,it might be worth taking the pedal off to lube the shaft(no comments please :lol:)

Roddy, not really. More of a typical 'creak', and only when the pedal is around 3/4 released at it's biting point. Had window down this morning and sounds quite loud from outside the car.

I tried to rock the engine. It hardly moved, but it did make the same creaking sound (although it was not as pronounced). Could it be a mount?

If it's a spring type metal creak every time you move the clutch then it's a 'design feature' of the Corrado.

I've yet to see one that doesn't do it (hmmm... should have tried that undriven VR in the Karmann factory...)

Got that going on in the background, but the other 'creak' is much louder. Also does it when I depress the brake pedal when the car's cold. Might have to take the under-dash off again and have another nosey under there :?

Right, get the creaking mainly at low speeds at clutch biting point.

Also when slowly depressing the brake pedal when car is cold/reversing down drive.

Also when accelerating hard after changing gear.

Got it to make the noise (a little bit) when trying to rock the engine.

Becoming more and more convinced it's a mount. Any thoughts?