Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

My VW dealer and the Iroc

Went to my local VW parts man today to get some parts for my recent rad and aircon condenser change projects, and tried to have a chat with him about the Iroc, that I had gone to see the mega-launch event for in Berlin 2 weeks ago.

I asked him what they though of it.

"Wait and see."

Erm ... no opions then? I might be interested in buying one to complement my Rocco-collection.

"We might not get it any time soon, as it may be classed as a premium car, like the Phaeton, which we never got either."

I reminded him that Listers did get one of the 6 Campaign Corrados, however.

"Yes, things have changed since then."

I simply stated that VW are looking at launching the Iroc as an affordable sports coupe, so it can't be a premium car, surely.

"Wait and see."

End of that conversation.

How do your dealers react to the topic of Iroc / new Scirocco?

Tempest

Seems a bit of a bizarre line for them to take considering that VW acknowledged that the Scirocco was launched as an affordable sports car for young people and they intended to keep that aspect of it whenever they released the IROC.

I think they've probably not had that much information on it tbh!

i thought the IROC hadn't been passed for production yet tho?????

Whilst this is true, we were assured by Dr Bernhard himself in Berlin, that the final version of the new Scirocco would be very identical indeed to what we were presented with in Berlin.

Of course this doesn't mean that a guy working at the parts counter of a VW dealer shouldn't at least have heard or read about this whole new thing, especially as even the British press have slowly started to mention the Iroc (the German one has been all full of it fir the last 2 weeks, and will be again, no doubt, as soon as the Paris Autosalon will commence later this month, where VW will be presenting the Iroc design concept to a wider audience).

Tempest

Well popped into the same dealership today to order some parts and I mentioned the IROC.. he just sounded dissapointed about the whole thing and said he'd hoped for something a bit better and that it just looked like a Golf on steroids. Can't really argue with that to be honest!

That must have been the slightly younger lad, he is chattier indeed :-) He's also the one who sounded more interested when I told him tht I was off to Berlin, after he'd shown me the latest version of Etka on their systems :-)

Tempest

i walked into my local VW garage and mentioned iroc, sales guy goes, so did i last night.... :lol:

sorry :oops:

I have mixed feelings about this. I suspect that VW will indeed price the IROC as a premium model, in the same way that the Corrado & Scirrocco were compared to thier equivalent Golf models.

The Golf R32 is priced at mid £20k level right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see the IROC priced against (say) the 3.2 Audi TT. Personally I think they should be more concerned about pricing competitively against the Nissan 350z

Just my 2p...

John

That must have been the slightly younger lad, he is chattier indeed :-) He's also the one who sounded more interested when I told him tht I was off to Berlin, after he'd shown me the latest version of Etka on their systems :-)

Tempest

Yeah - saw that yesterday! Its a bit interesting looking I must say. Wonder if its possible to stumble across a copy of that from somewhere...

I have mixed feelings about this. I suspect that VW will indeed price the IROC as a premium model, in the same way that the Corrado & Scirrocco were compared to thier equivalent Golf models.

The Golf R32 is priced at mid £20k level right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see the IROC priced against (say) the 3.2 Audi TT. Personally I think they should be more concerned about pricing competitively against the Nissan 350z

Indeed. When they launched it they were talking about it being an affordable car for young people, etc - now maybe its just me but I earn a reasonable salary yet the thought of owning a brand new Golf is not even remotely viable for me. The IROC has to cost more than a Golf does, so how does that make it an affordable sports car for young people? I'm a young person (in body only perhaps!) and its well out of my grasp.

According to several German newspaper articles talk is still very much on an entry-level price of 22k Euros. What's entry-level is anyone's guess, 1.0 Liter engine in a 2 ton car? :lol:

Tempest

Certainly in the Mk2 Scirocco days it was priced, pretty much the same as the Golf equivelant... The Corrado was always a premium product though...

According to several German newspaper articles talk is still very much on an entry-level price of 22k Euros. What's entry-level is anyone's guess, 1.0 Liter engine in a 2 ton car? :lol:

Tempest

Yes - the same 3 cylinder unit out of the Polo. Oh - and as standard it will recieve 14" steel wheels with IROC special edition wheel trims ;)

The Corrado was always a premium product though...

That's because VW discovered too late that it was hideously expensive to produce. :D