Sign in to follow this  
VEEDUBHEV

Samco Coolant Hoses

Hello all. Hope im putting this question in the right place. Just wandering if anyone else has experianced problems with their Samco hoses? Ive got a M reg Vr6 and before putting the coolent hoses on it never used any water, now however im having to keep an eye on it. Its not loosing drastic amounts but its concerning. My thermostat went just after having the new hoses on. Then about a week later the thermostat outlet snapped. As i said though its not loosing too much water and all the hoses feel dry at joins. Its a mystery. Just wandering if anyone else has had similar problems or if its just me ending up with the dodgy hoses :lol:

Also in the kit with the coolent hoses there was 2 breather hoses, one of which is a completely differant shape to the origonal. Demon tweeks assured me they were the right ones and i cant be bothered to remove all the other hoses to return them :x All i wanted was a smart looking engine bay :roll:

Hoses asside though i do love my Corrado and wouldnt change him for the world, well, maybe non leaky hoses, he :lol:

Had no trouble at all with leakage from my M reg VR6 after having Samcos fitted about 3 years ago. Hard to imagine shiny new Samco hoses having a leak, to be honest. Who fitted hoses? Were good adjustable hose clips used ?

Dont give up on them - most people who have them wouldnt and those who dont have them are always hankering after them.

If there is a leak it may manifest itself as a wet patch of coolant under the car when parked. Also, leaking coolant dribbling from the pipes in the engine compartment can nearly always be seen as a coloured, crystalline/powdery deposit when dry, even if there is not enuf to make anything wet.

Possibly coolant is only being lost when engine is putting liquid under pressure, though?

Watch you do not get burnt or that your hair or other dangly bits do not get caught up in idling engine if you are going to nosey under bonnet!!

Out of 2 breather hoses supplied, I left one out as the original hose setup incorporates some kind of valve/filter gadget and I felt it was best not to dispense with it.

I have always meant to ask on the forum what effect doing away with the more elaborate breather system would have, but aint got round to it.

Maybe some kind auto technician-type chappie will tell us now!

Will post pic of left over hose soon.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Pic might help explain 2 breather hose replacements coming with Samco kit.

One, I still have to fit, if I can be convinced that the elaborate filter system of the original setup can be dispensed with.

Red Samco at right easily replaces black original seen just below and to left of silver insulating material next to extreme top of engine compartment. Just whip old one off and replace with Samco. The easiest of all to do.

I have to thank other forum members who gave me this gen a while ago when I had got the Samcos.

VEEDUBHEV, Wlecome to the forum!

You really need tio change any plastic housings / elbows for brand new when fitting samco's as the old ones go brittle with age and the samco's require slightly more clamping force because of the material so the OE hose clips are no good for these, I'd use Jubilee or Mikalor's...

Thankyou Craigowl and Supercharged for the warm welcome and handy hints!

I have replaced all of the hose clips with stainless steel Jubilee clips. My local Volks shop carried out the work for me and i have been taking both of my VW's there for ages now and they have always done good jobs for me, so can confidently say they have been fitted properly. Tiz strange as you both have had no problems with yours. Im noy going to worry too much as the engine bay does look good now, and as i said its not loosing drastic amounts of water.

Craigowl, i will fit that new breather hose tomorrow and have a good look for more evidence of where the coolent hose problem could be coming from. But dont worry i'll be doing all of this when the engine is cold so my dangly bits (Long hair, ha) wont be at risk. Thanks for your concern though, ha ha :lol:

Supercharged wrote:

You really need tio change any plastic housings / elbows for brand new when fitting samco's as the old ones go brittle with age and the samco's require slightly more clamping force because of the material so the OE hose clips are no good

Good point, man. My garage man broke one of the the brittle heater matrix pipes when tightening the hoses. I had to have a new matrix. They only charged me cost price so I was happy to have the 11-year old original replaced.

What other plastic elbows etc did you have in mind, supercharged?

VEEDUBHEV wrote:

But dont worry i'll be doing all of this when the engine is cold so my dangly bits (Long hair, ha) wont be at risk. Thanks for your concern though, ha ha

Dont mention it. Just my fatherly concern for the young. I do warn the males about the dangly bits, too - you know, jewelry, silk scarves, large bunches of keys, etc!

LOL - Oh i had problems fitting them but the G60 kit is much worse than the VR one and half the hoses are a nightmare to get on, especially the ones going onto metal pipes...

The other issue was I was using these massive mikalor clips and they are way to easy to overtighten onto plastic, I'd say Jubilee's are better (Altho you can't argue with the clamping power, the Mikalors are meant to be stainless but 3 years on and mine are going rusty where they are spot-welded)

The plastic elbows I did are the one on the front of the cyl head (temp senders), one at the side, one on the rad and new thermostat elbow with new pump and stat...

On the VR there is the rad elbow, the thermo housing and the elsecric water pump which all have plastic outlets...