Sign in to follow this  
S0NIC

Broken Heater Control

Hello, Newbie here on the forum.

I have owned my 'c' 2.0l 16v for 5 years - and loved every minute. It's silver with black leather and standard apart from a magnex ss exhaust.

The problem I've found is with the heater control which adjust between screen, face & feet etc. It turns freely with no effect to the setting - Is it completely broken and is it something easy to fix???

Hi Sonic, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the cable has come away from the control at the back. When you remove the controls theres a series off white plastic cogs, there will be a cable connected to one of the cogc that will control the air direction. You may be able to fix it although this is unlikely. If not you can go to a scrap yard & take the heater controls from a '91-'95 Passat. The controls are almost identical & according to 'Kev' (on this forum) you can fit them into the corrado set-up.

Good luck

No! a couple of visits to local scrappies, came out with a blank. Either the controls had already been removed or they were broken.

After being told the Stealership wanted £94 +VAT I decided to take it apart to see if I could fix it.

The problem I found with the controls wasn't as decribed in the post above but with the gear contolling the lever arms for the vent cables. It had jammed causing the centre spindle point to break and was no longer engaging the teeth on the back of the control.

With a little help from a ty-wrap I managed to retain the gear so it rotated and functioned correctly.

so can ya pull the controls apart without breaking them? It seems that mine are FUBAR, would need to detach the round grey discs from the housing, is this possible do you know?

Yeah on the last page of my guide, it shows you the metal detent tab that falls off and jams under the adjuster gears....very common. Just remove it altogether and live without the click-stops on each vent direction.

Cheesy, yeah they can be stripped but the plastics are really brittle, so you have to go easy with the screwsdrivers.

Good Passat ones are hard to find because they break too. I luckily found two mint ones from my scrappy but I had to scavange around 8 passats to find them :?

Since doing that guide, mine have broken twice, but it's all working again now. The metal tab fell off the first time and then the face/feet vent cable detached itself from the heater distribution box. Nice.

What a pile of junk the later heaters are.....

Kev