Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

ABS 93 VR

Hi guys,

Did ABS come with the 1993 VRs? Mine has a ABS "button" but it doesnt light up when engine is turned on, nor does the ABS carry out a self test once the engine is started. Would i be right in thinking it didnt come with the 93 VRs and its there for show more then anything?

Cheers

As far as Im aware it came with all of them. It might be that the bulb is disconnected, in which case the ABS probably isnt working. Or it could just be that the bulb has blown.

If its disconnected, and when you reconnect it the light stays on, its tits!! get it on Vag-Com for some diagnosis.

Hmmmm........... well has vr6storm knows, its going on the VAG-COM soon, so thats another thing that needs checking. Why would someone disconnect the ABS. Could it have anything to do with the front discs and pads being changed, does it need disconnecting for them to be changed? How do i reconnect the ABS?

Cheers for the replies guys

Hmmmm........... well has vr6storm knows, its going on the VAG-COM soon. Why would someone disconnect the ABS. Could it have anything to do with the front discs and pads being changed, does it need disconnecting for them to be changed?

Cheers for the replies guys

probably cos they knew there was summat majorly(aka expensively) wrong with it,and it would fail a MOT if the light was on during start-up.......check under the bonnet to see if the rest of the ABS is still there too........and under the pass.side kick panel you should find your ABS ECU..........tho you just need to hook the VAGCOM up to the socket under the gearshift surround :wink:

What am i looking for when you say

.......check under the bonnet to see if the rest of the ABS is still there too........and under the pass.side kick panel you should find your ABS ECU

bollox youve got me worried now, is it ok to drive while its disconnected? I presume it still has the normal braking capability?

What am i looking for when you say
.......check under the bonnet to see if the rest of the ABS is still there too........and under the pass.side kick panel you should find your ABS ECU

bollox youve got me worried now, is it ok to drive while its disconnected? I presume it still has the normal braking capability?

ABS pump/controller etc under the bonnet

as for driving............my ABS ECU and 1 sensor went last year...........so no ABS........to say its scary in the wet is a bit of an underestimate :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

when you reconnect it the light stays on, its tits

Is it possible that it was disconnected just so it'd pass the MOT, like what was said above its pants and the light jsut stays on. Or am i wrong?

as for driving............my ABS ECU and 1 sensor went last year...........so no ABS........to say its scary in the wet is a bit of an underestimate

Ive driven in the wet and the brakes seem to work fine.

If the light is on then it aint working mate. it could be a knackered sensor (like mine has currently) or an open circuit. You need to Vag Com it to check, but you also need to get the light reconnected first. it may actually be fine.

Well the light doesnt come on at all, not even on start up. I had a 2.0ltr 8v and the light would come on and self-test when engine is first switched on. The VR just doesnt do it. I've asked the fella who sold me the car, ill see what he says. Only had the car a matter of weeks and the list is slowly getting longer, i feel lied to by the bloke, simply cos he didnt mention any of this. Maybe an over sight on my part

It defo isnt plugged in from what youre saying mate. Prize the light out and stick the plug back in. Even if the bulb was knackered, but the ABS was working, you'd hear it click.

ABS pump/controller etc under the bonnet

as for driving............my ABS ECU and 1 sensor went last year...........so no ABS........to say its scary in the wet is a bit of an underestimate :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

no sh1t!!! :shock:

I lost a sensor (hense lost ABS), drove it for 2 miles down through town in the wet, got it sideways at 20 mph twice and didn't drive it again till it was fixed.

when the other sensor went it was 2 days before the MOT (lost 2 lights in 3 days too, one whilst I was driving to the test place (IT KNOWS!!!)), so just disconnected the bulb for the test, and then fixed it that week

Hmm. Sideways in the wet? No ABS? Sounds like your brake balance is a bit tail-happy. Car lowered? Brake load proportioning valve adjusted properly?

Even in the wet, you should only be able to provoke tail slides with seriously unjudicious use of the brakes at those speeds. If you were talking about snow or black ice, well I wouldn't be surprised ..

My ABS has never worked, and ive got to say ive never had a breaking issue in the wet. Wheelspin, yes, as obviously the TC doesnt kick in either, but no slip slidey :) perhaps my cars setup right with the break bias, or perhaps i just know how to drive..... :p (jk)

OK update, i pulled the bulb "button" out, no wires going to the "button". Looked under the bonnet, no ABS reservoir cant see the pump either. Looked behind the kick panel on the passengers side, theres the ABS ECU, cant see any wires coming out of it... well not from the front anyway. ODD! any ideas? You say ALL VR6s came with ABS, cos judging by my findings, it doesnt have it. What the hell is going on!????

I take it the pump and reservoir (goign by the handbook) is top right of the engine bay?

The brakes seem fine when driving, car handles when braking ok, no sliding etc. I even built up speed and slammed on and it didnt lock. but that could be me sub consciously holding back a bit.

HELP!!!

The pump unit is supposed to be attached to the bulkhead, below and behind the coolant expansion tank. It really sounds to me like someone has ripped it out...

ALL VR6s came with ABS, no ifs or buts (particularly if you have the dash bulb and the ABS ECU!).

I would say you have been stitched up, on the whole mate! :(

I can't believe what some people do to cars and then sell them on knowing full well it's not 'safe'

i had an ABS sensor replaced last week and am enjoying braking with confidence once again! It was worth the money just to lose the bloody bright light thats in your face the whole time when driving at night :lol:

I can't believe what some people do to cars and then sell them on knowing full well it's not 'safe'

i had an ABS sensor replaced last week and am enjoying braking with confidence once again! It was worth the money just to lose the bloody bright light thats in your face the whole time when driving at night :lol:

Funnily enough you get used to the big bright light after a month or two ...

So what now....? Am i fecked when it comes to the MOT? can i buy a pump and get it fitted or what?

You say below and behind the expansion tank, is that the ABS expansion tank!? or the coolant expansion tank? The thing is theres no brake fluid reservoir next to the coolant expansion tank, YET theres a brake fluid reservoir top left of the engine bay, WHAT IS GOING ON!?

So what now....? Am i fecked when it comes to the MOT? can i buy a pump and get it fitted or what?

You say below and behind the expansion tank, is that the ABS expansion tank!? or the coolant expansion tank?

legally you are fecked........provided your MOT place knows that it should have ABS as standard...........tho I imagine its been thru a MOT without the ABS.....even if the light didn't illuminate the tester surely must have seen the ABS script on the switch......btw its the coolant expansion tank ABS doesn't have an expansion tank

how long ago did you buy it btw???...........you might still have some redress with the seller.........especially if its from a trader

Private sale mate payed cash, it apparently had an MOT before i bought it in August. I bought it in September. Well according to the corrado manual the expansion tank is next to the coolant tank. Can someone send me a pic of what i should be seeing under the bonnet? IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED! I maybe me getting it all wrong, i dunno! not happy, really am not happy! So if the pump has been removed could i get a pump refitted or what?

btw its the coolant expansion tank ABS doesn't have an expansion tank

I meant next to the coolant expansion tank. Should there be a reservoir, according to the manual there should be, but there shouldnt be one top left of the engine bay which is where mine is!