Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

ABS 93 VR

vr6storm, can you do me a favour and take a pic of what i should be looking at under the bonnet? There is something attached to the bulk head UNDER and behind the coolant expansion tank, im not 100% what i should be looking for!

the brake/clutch fluid reservoir should be at the left hand side of the engine compartment btw

you can get the ABS re-fitted tho I'd imagine you might as well buy a new one........how many miles has it done since its MOT??........cos if the MOT place did their job properly it shouldn't have left there with a pass if the ABS didn't self-test and extinguish the ABS light on start-up

vr6storm, can you do me a favour and take a pic of what i should be looking at under the bonnet? There is something attached to the bulk head UNDER and behind the coolant expansion tank, im not 100% what i should be looking for!

its probably easier for you to take a pic of what you have or haven't got mate :wink:

There is no "tank" visible for the ABS. It's one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-mk3-VR6-A ... 0031298055

If you have one of these, you have an ABS pump unit. The "reservoir" for the ABS is inside that unit. You wouldn't have an obvious clear plastic container, because it has to withstand several hundred atmospheres pressure...!!

This whole unit should be fitted to the bulkhead (i.e. the metal wall between the engine bay and the passenger compartment), beneath the engine coolant expansion tank. It is just above the gearbox engine mount. Short of opening your bonnet and pointing, I'm not sure how I can describe it better! ;)

Cheers dr_mat, Ive just taken some pics jsut before you posted that. YUP! it does have that, i was looking for something different, and not actually sure what :lol: Ive taken the bulb holder out of the dash. There was no port or bulb in the holder, However after a scout behind the dash, i found the little circuit board and plug socket for it. Theres no metal clips, so its loose and it just falls out of the holder and into the dash. BUT, I cannot see any wires or plug to go into the holder, which direction will the wires come from? i assume the plug will be black like the fog lights and heated screen plugs.

Im going to have to take the instruments out probably to take a good look.

Again i cant stress enough how grateful i am for the replies, Cheers guys! :)

Try taking the fog light, rear heated window and heated seat switches out, and follow their wires back mate. You may also need to take the stereo out, and even the clocks, none of which are difficult. You should be able to trace the wires back and hopefully find the ABS loom.

Ahhhhhhaaaaaa! Found the plug, put it in the socket and secured it (with sellotape, just as a quick botch til i get a new one) put the abs light back into the dash. BINGO! the light came on and then went off again. Everything is ok, all that worry for nothing... hopefully. However did someone say i should be able to hear the ABS working, cos i cant, brakes work good though (before and after all this). Maybe worth getting it checked over anyway for peace of mind.

Move on with your life

:lol: cheers for that dr_mat. Yup the light goes out and stays out. Maybe i jumped the gun a bit, however i dont have the luxury of all the knowledge some of you have... still im learning.

Cheers again guys!

Easy way to check for sure is go down a quiet road and slam the anchors on, if its working you'll feel it, if not - you'll skid (in your pants :lol: )

You didn't hit it hard enough.

Look, if the light goes out the ABS is working, trust it. It self tests every time you turn the ignition on, it self tests when you go over 7mph (10kph) for the first time. If something wasn't working right the LIGHT WOULD BE ON.. :)