Sign in to follow this  
herisites

Brakes for my VR6

Hey everyone,

I am getting used to my VR6 nicely now and am giving it the beans more and enjoying every second :D but now i want to start making the car as solid and safe as possible i.e awesome tyres for immense grip (was originally thinking toyo T1-R's as i can get them cheap but i want awesome grip in the wet so was thinking of spending more and going for uniroyal rain tyres?) and upgrading the brakes for some better stopping power. I dont want to go for bigger brakes as i am fitting som 16's soon and they wont fit over any bigger than standard 280 discs.

So i have been looking at upgrade standard size discs. I done a search and looked on GSF and found these: 60200F BRAKE DISC-BREMBO'MAX' for the CO VR6, these seem cheap to me for Brembo discs. The website doesnt give much information on them though which is a bit naff so i dont know for definate if these are the ones for my car. Can someone please verify they will fit straight on my vr no probs (5 stud and correct size for standard calipers) and also if they are good???

Thanks.

Rob.

they are just likely to be standard spec brakes made by Brembo

you can convert to 288mm mk3 VR6 discs btw(from 96> models) and still run 15's

another alternative is Ate Power Grooves...........I'm on my second set now and can thoroughly recomend them.........cheaper than VAG discs too and made by an O/EM supplier

I think Brembo 'Max' disks are just standard Brembo disks (which are very good BTW) which are drilled and or grooved. and possibly painted black.

there was another thread on the 'Max' disc's on here somewhere

even if you fit standard 288 discs and pads it transforms the braking mate. I would say that would be better than upgrading the 280s for anything on offer.

As mentioned, they will fit under the standard 15" speedlines too!! So 16s "shouldnt" be a problem.

the only other thing you would need are a set of goorich converter hoses for less than £20.

and btw, youll notice a number of us are running 312s, but i can tell little if any difference over the 288s tbh. They look a lot bigger but the pads and callipers are the same so you just gain a smidge of leverage.

280s cr.p -- 288s great -- 312s little difference (but lots of wheel clearence fun)

Cheers for the replies. So if i went for the 288's would these run with standard calipers and carriers etc so just fit straight on? Where can i get the goodridge converter hoses from?

vr6storm do you have a link to the Ate Power Grooves?

Thanks,

Rob.

Nice one, price seems good. Where could i get the 288's from and do these need and specific pads running with them etc?

Rob.

you should also get the power grooves in 288mm flavour too.............as for pads as long as they are for the 280 or 288 respectively you'll be alright.........just go for the best you can afford................btw IIRC if you go 288mm you need the matching calipers/carriers too

I just fitted standard VW discs and pagid fast road pads and they are superb now!

If you can afford to go the 288s then i'd do that, still using OEM 288 discs and fast road pads... I wouldn't bother with grooved or cross drilled, apparently it doesn't really make much difference at those sizes - they look nice though.

The late Mk3 GTI/VR6 brakes are 288mm - only 8mm bigger disks than the C, but the callipers are considerably bigger.

You just take the whole kit and caboodle off a Golf and bolt it onto a Corrado. The only part you'll need as well is a set of Mk2->Mk3 adapter hoses.

More detailed info (which is as far as I know, accurate) is in the 312mm brakes wiki article

theres a 96 P 8v gti at my local scrappy i saw yesturday. it has 288s on it in good nick. he wanted £50 for the lot. if i get a chance at the weekend ill pull them off and post em up or pm you.

got family in hospital at the mo so cant promise. but i was going to try and get em anyway as its a fair price and people allways want em.

although the disks dont sound much bigger the pad area is literally double, that where you get the big improvement

Cheers fellas. I thought that i would need the calipers etc as well, this is where i have a problem because the wheels im getting although are 16" they only just clear the standard calipers with spacing so i cant afford to go any bigger which sucks. I am quite happy with the brakes as they tbh but just wanted that bit more immediate bite.

So if i went for the power grooves with some good pads then would that be a good improvement over standards?

Also does anyone do anything with the rears or is there no point?

Rob.

So if i went for the power grooves with some good pads then would that be a good improvement over standards?

Yes

Also does anyone do anything with the rears or is there no point?

For stopping the rears are perfectly fine as they are, there's hardly any weight over them (especially under heavy braking) so they'll just try and lock up earlier, if your ABS isn't working this will make the rear end try and overtake the front (unsafe), if it is working the ABS will kick in prematurely and actually make your brakes worse. Adjusting the brake bias valve will sort this but then render any upgrade completely pointless.

Saying that though the mk4 rear brake conversion is pretty common, although that's mainly because it improves the handbrake.

If you want a better feel from the pedal get some braided hoses on there, you'll definately notice a difference with them on as the old rubber hoses flex slightly under load giving a spongy feel to the pedal. Braided hoses don't flex and give you a much more solid feeling pedal.

Mmm, i'm looking to upgrade the fronts to 288s so if there is a good set of calipers and carriers available at a good price I'd be interested.

Cheers steve_16v i wasnt asking about the rears because there is something wrong with mine, they work fine just asking if people tend to upgrade them, i didnt think there was much point to it due to the weight being over the fronts more when braking.

I am going to go for the power grooves and then get some good pads.

Cheers again everyone for your help :D

Rob.

Ok i am going to dig up my old thread. I am upgrading my brakes and now i have my wheels on i def cant go any bigger with the brakes so would the ATE Power Grooves with ATE pads be a good improvement over standard?

Also on the Euro Car Parts site it doesnt say whether the price is for both discs or just one. Does anyone know whether the £30+ is for both discs or each? Im guessing both as you would tend to order them as a set :lol:

Rob.

All this talk of weak vr brakes is worrying me and i haved picked mine up yet! on my mk3 gti i had vr6 callipers and 288mm drilled discs, fr pads which were great with the lighter engine set up.

Its mentioned above about the 312mm set up, if i was to fit the TT front set up, this is for a 94 vr what would i need additional to the original callipers, carriers and discs? will i just need a set of mk2-mk3 conversion hoses?

Cheers

Andy

Ok i am going to dig up my old thread. I am upgrading my brakes and now i have my wheels on i def cant go any bigger with the brakes so would the ATE Power Grooves with ATE pads be a good improvement over standard?

Also on the Euro Car Parts site it doesnt say whether the price is for both discs or just one. Does anyone know whether the £30+ is for both discs or each? Im guessing both as you would tend to order them as a set :lol:

Rob.

Ive used ATE power grooves for the past 4years,they are a fair improvement over the std discs stopping power wise tho obviously they create more dust

pricewise its £30ea not a pair.............std VW discs are £35 ea btw,its only pads that come as a pair :wink: good VFM at anyrate

vr6storm, beat me to it

herisites, atleast with your borbets on you don't have to worry about blinging your calipers etc :D

:oops:

its weird - I looked and thought nice brocks yet my fingers type something else :lol:

Ahh so it would be about £60 then and then pads on top of them. What pads did you use with the discs?

I use ATE pads,just ordered them at the same time