Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Ive lost my whistle...

Had my car up and running for a day or so now, and I have noticed that i seem to have lost the whistle from my supercharger. (91 G60)

What could be the cause of this? And is a serious problem, as i dont want to destroy the engine or the charger!!

Nick

Err...just used the search. Is my charger even supposed to whistle?!

Could explain why the old engine blew up if not.

It used to occur when i was revving high, and then changing gear.

Hi Mate,

I could be wrong here but my understanding of the "whistle" effect is that its the result of the unused boost being forced back into the charger via the boost return thats why it only happens on full throttle gear changes, in effect when you lift off to change gear the engine (to which your charger is attached) slows down however the other half of your charger is suddenly hit with the unused boost causing the "whistle" noise.

You should only hear this if you still have you boost return path!

Cheers

Dan

I still have the boost return path. I havent removed it or deleted it using the mod. But im still whistle-less. So there is something wrong!!

Actually the whistle is caused if you remove the boost return tubes. This is usually because the connection for the boost return is left open causing a whistle on gear change. If it's still routed to the charger you won't get the whistle.

Mine doesn't whistle (neither did my last one) at least not that I noticed. Are you running a standard airbox and tubes.. or are you using no-OEM parts ?

You'll get a whistle without the boost return deleted if you've had all the carbon canister and fuel breathing gubbins removed if you don't plug the hole underneath the TB.

Are you running a standard airbox and tubes.. or are you using no-OEM parts ?

Thats a good point. My old engine was fitted with a pipercross kit, but my new one has the standard airbox.

Im going to remove the CC this weekend with any luck.

Thanks for your replys, i think i understand now.

Nick

My engine is stock (apart from chip stage4 and pulley). Airbox etc intect. And it whistles when driving hard between gear changes. Its pretty cool.

My old one did it too and again was totally stock. I removed the boast return and lost the whistle :(

mines bog standard and still whistles. although there is a hole in my boost return pipe thats been elecy taped up. thats prop why it doesnt do it all the time.