Sign in to follow this  
chez2165

Rear wheels locking up

I have just recently bought a G60 Corrado that has been lowered. I have discovered recently that when i brake hard the rear end locks up, I was wondering if they are fitted with a load sensing valve which has been disturbed when it has been lowered.

And also it is shown to be fitted with ABS any ideas why this would not be working.

And also any further suggestions on how to improve the front end braking, but i would prefer to stay with a 4 stud pattern.

There's a brake bias valve for forward/rear brake bias mounted on the rear axle, passenger side.

You can twiddle that to adjust things, but I suspect it'll be ceased.

Have a search for ABS problems as they're quite common.

In short - it's usually because you've got a bent or damaged sensor ring on one of the wheels. You should be able to hook it up to VAG-COM which can talk to the ABS ECU and tell you what's up.

with a load sensing valve which has been disturbed when it has been lowered

Highly likely, as Dinkus already mentioned. This valve can be adjusted, but with vehicle resting on wheels.

And also it is shown to be fitted with ABS any ideas why this would not be working.

If you've got an early G60, the VAG-COM may not work, simply follow the procedure here (worked a treat on mine :-)): http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44599&highlight=

Tempest

with a load sensing valve which has been disturbed when it has been lowered

Highly likely, as Dinkus already mentioned. This valve can be adjusted, but with vehicle resting on wheels.

If you've got an early G60, the VAG-COM may not work, simply follow the procedure here (worked a treat on mine :-)): http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44599&highlight=

Tempest[/quote:377ba]

To add some details to what is stated above - the rear brake load proportioning valve (for it is he) should be adjusted using the proper VW tool when the car is lowered. Basically it uses the position of the rear arm to decide how much weight is on the back and therefore how much braking force it can put to the back. If you lower the car you trick it into thinking there's permanently lots of weight on the back of the car... And hence your problems.

The ABS can't fix everything. Not sure how many channels the ABS on the G60 has - many don't have individual rear operation, and some ABS systems didn't operate on the rears at all. If the ABS light does the correct cycle then it's working, but you can't expect miracles.