Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Started to polish, update (tuesday) on Page 3

before you say i should leave it to the pro's, My car is very dull, no shine and im willing to have a go at it.

Im only going to give it a gentle going over so i wont ruin the paint.

Ok got myself a machine polisher, and a compound pad and a polishing pad.

car1.JPG

car2.JPG

Some rubbing compound a wax and a protecting polish.

car3.JPG

Do i put the compound / wax / polish on the car and let it dry, or put on the pads?

which order to i do the wax and polishing?

And any tips apart from masking off the trim and not pushing too hard on the car with the machine???

Im going to return these products ive got as ive been told they'll be to harsh.

Can anyone tell me exactly what i should get,

Basically im thinking of 3 things,

1. Something like a T-cut(but harsher)

2. Something to bring a shine

3. and something protect the work i've just done.

Can anyone help?

I used Meguiers paint cleaner then Scratch X, then mcgiuers polish, then liquid gold wax on mine and now looks stunning!!

I used Meguiers paint cleaner then Scratch X, then mcgiuers polish, then liquid gold wax on mine and now looks stunning!!

I think i may do the same, as im using a machine to do the work i dont want anything thats goning to be too hard.

1/Meguiars speed glaze.

2/A polish of your choice,autoglym super resin/autoglym ultra deep shine/mer/megs etc...use one of them for a good few times before applying a wax.

3/a carnauba paste wax.

8)

Best off using the paint cleaner after the scratch-x m8 :) With the scratch-x being 'sticky' the paint cleaner is good to remove any slight residue in prep for polish. 8)

Neil.

Aye but no need to go mad unless its seriously faded...and seeing previous pics it dosn't look overly bad...

Ideally you would need more products if using something more harsh from the start.

It may be worse than it looks in the pics so does possibly need more abrasive stuff. :)

Neil. :)

well it has no shine to it what so ever, you cant see your own reflection in it or anything. and its VERY rough to the touch.

Its been stood for a year in the elements.

I would use G3 compound if the paint is rough (like you say yours is):

au_g3_regular_grade.jpg

Followed by Diamond cut or Finesse or Perfect it which ever you can get.

m8532.gif13183.jpgglaze.jpg

Followed by a good quality wax (not cheap polish) something like meguiars yellow wax to seal the paint.

meguiars_M2601.jpg

Thats what I have used mate, using hand only (not enough money for a buffer yet) and mine came out better (not perfect though) than it was beforehand, but admittedly, mine isnt all that bad to start off with...

But I think you might need something a bit stronger in the "cutting section" than Step 1, hopefully someone can clarify that.

found this G3 stuff for a tenner, would it do..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Farecla-G3-Regula ... dZViewItem

Thats the stuff, as I said, use that followed by a lighter compound to bring up the shine (the G3 will remove scratches / flatten a rough surface but it will leave it hazy, hence the need for a lighter compound to finish it off) and then a good wax.

be carefull using the G3 along raised lines in the bodywork / near edges of panels, it can be very easy to break through the paint with it, some people cover these lines with masking tape to prevent this.

I would use T cut as an in between step quicker than autoglym, as harsh as autoglym is I think it would take more work to take up the G3'd paint with it than with something designed with mild scratch removal in mind.

If you have it there fire away, it will work, but if you are buying it specifically you would be better off getting the right one for the job, so: T Cut, Finesse, Perfect it compound or diamond cut. You want an anti swirl polish or fine cutting compound.

Your wax would be spot on as the last step though, you want wax to seal the paint and not just polish.

Good luck with it, and get pics up, before and after :)