Sign in to follow this  
spoier

Where to mount the oil cooler

Doing a custom oil cooler install job but where to mount the bloody thing??

I know some people remove the AC compressor and mount their oil cooler there under the G60, and some zip tie them to the radiator... I don't really like the first solution (its still in the hot engine bay), what are some other mounting locations I could use? Has anyone used a 13x3 or 13x4 cooler mounted upside down under the radiator support bracket? Might be a little dicey with speed bumps.

Looking for easy places to mount wihtout a lot of fab work It's pissing down rain and I don't have a garage to work in.

Can't delete the carbon canister and put it in there because I need to import the car into Canada in a couple years and it gets a hardcore inspection

Skye

Spoier,

I have always used the location below the G charger for Corrados retaining the OE intercooler. Although i have not encountered an air con compressor obstacle before, it should still stack up as an easy install. You express concern for it being subject to a hot engine bay in this location. This again i have never found to be a factor. I, when using this location, will open up the front lower grille slats to allow air to pass through and this is sufficient to counteract any concern you may harbour.

Very eloquent, John :D

Got any pics of that install? I'm curious what kind of mounting bracket was fabbed

I'm leaning towards zip-tying it to the front of the rad though, since I'd like to remove the whole AC system. Which means I have to remove bumper and grille and...?

Skye

Sorry, no pics available at this moment. The install however is exteremly straight forward once access has been afforded by removal of the front bumper or removal of the charger. Either of these methods would allow you sufficient room to complete the install. I simply use flexi rubber mounts at the base of the cooler and a fabricated steadying bracket at the top. The front chassis brace provides a suitable fixing platform. An alternative that would require longer hoses but easy install and good air flow is perhaps behind the grille. You would need to re-locate the horns.

A 16 row 115 cooler can be mounted directly onto the slam panel in front of the charger and behind the upper grill. The mounting bracket holes of the mocal coolers line up exactly with two larger predrilled holes in the slam panel.

Mount the cooler using 20mm washers at the top, benith the washers a 20mm dia x 2mm rubber washer, slam panel, then a 20mm dia x 10mm depth rubber washer, though cooler mounting holes, two 25mm M6 bolts though the centre secured by two nylock nuts at the bottom. Mount the sandwich plate as normal and run the short hose run to the cooler fittings which should face downwards toward the cross member.

I hope all this makes sence. Mounting in this position provides easy access, no need to remove the bumper, but you will possibly need to remove the charger if you cannot do the fittings up with the front uper grill removed surficently tight enough.

I have some picture somwhere i'll try and dig out.

Hmm well I dont see any predrilled holes on the slam panel in that area, but now that I have all the AC junk removed, there is plenty of room in front of the radiator to zip tie the cooler to that area - more air flow, more bettah :D

Skye

A 16 row 115 cooler can be mounted directly onto the slam panel in front of the charger and behind the upper grill. The mounting bracket holes of the mocal coolers line up exactly with two larger predrilled holes in the slam panel.

Mount the cooler using 20mm washers at the top, benith the washers a 20mm dia x 2mm rubber washer, slam panel, then a 20mm dia x 10mm depth rubber washer, though cooler mounting holes, two 25mm M6 bolts though the centre secured by two nylock nuts at the bottom. Mount the sandwich plate as normal and run the short hose run to the cooler fittings which should face downwards toward the cross member.

I hope all this makes sence. Mounting in this position provides easy access, no need to remove the bumper, but you will possibly need to remove the charger if you cannot do the fittings up with the front uper grill removed surficently tight enough.

I have some picture somwhere i'll try and dig out.

I have installed mine as shown below using existing holes in the slam panel with penny washers and stainless screws and of course rubber mounts between the cooler and the slam panel (as above really).

The only thing that did cross my mind is the hot oil cooler near the super charger. I haven't put the rest of the car back together yet so would appreciate any comments/suggestions. I did check and the headlight just clears the cooler. Also other installs I have seen mount the cooler with the pipes upwards. This leaves a cooler full of dirty oil after each oil change :gag: At least this way the cooler has a chance to drain :D

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Won't you get an air lock though as air is lighter than oil! :shrug:

Not sure :eek: it was advice from G-Werks so I have to assume its correct. I am sure I will find out when I start the car :)

Not sure :eek: it was advice from G-Werks so I have to assume its correct. I am sure I will find out when I start the car :)

Oh well I'm sure you'll be fine!

Here's mine...

5e4d5dfd.jpg

Audi 80 Diesel Oil Cooler fitted straight into the old intercooler cowl, I made a bracket to mount it in. :)

Here's mine...

5e4d5dfd.jpg

Audi 80 Diesel Oil Cooler fitted straight into the old intercooler cowl, I made a bracket to mount it in. :)

I like that idea :D So you must have gone for a front mounted intercooler?

Here's mine...

5e4d5dfd.jpg

I like that idea :D So you must have gone for a front mounted intercooler?

Golf G60 FMIC, one of the best things I've done performance wise.

Have you got any photos of the install? I would like to see how it fits + pipework etc

Which the Golf FMIC or the oil cooler?

The FMIC :cheers:

I never took loads of pics when I installed it as I was in a rush both times but I will say get all the pipework with it including the u-bend and engine support and if you can the bolts and clips. Goes straight in with a little trimming to clear the left headlight. Try and get the rad for the same car as mounting the original behind the golf IC is a little tricky with the support at the bottom left. Looks factory to be honest.

edit you can see some of the pipework on here...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3866413&page=2

no pics of mine, but as beavis said i stuck it on top of the slam panel where there is two holes already cut, mine was about an inch from the rad so it benefited from air being drawn by the fan :D took a couple of hours max

if your using a thermostatic plate make sure you get it the right way round - i didn't frst time :D brilliant job tho, immediate 20deg drop on my old vr