Sign in to follow this  
dubweiser

seized brake bias valve

Just failed my mot beacause of a seized brake bias valve.Ive searched on here and its mentioned quite a few times with people saying it can cause a problem but i cant find any advice on how to fix it.Ive been told it can be freed with plusgas or the like but i dont actually know which bit i should be looking at.Cant find any diagrams of it anywher so im kinda flying blind.Anyone else had this problem and if so is it easy to fix?I think taking it to the garage is going to be pricey so wanna try it myself first.Any help is appreciated.Thanks

Pair of pliers, lots of plusgas. Apply latter to former, waggle it a lot and it'll probably free up.

Of course, you can also just replace it. They're about £70 iirc.

Cheers for that mate.Just not sure which bit im supposed to be squirting and waggling.Which bit is the linkage(sorry for stupid question but ive not seen one before and cant find a pic anywhere)Also if i did have to replace it do i have to replace whole valve or is the linkage bit seperate.Arrrrggghhh the joys of motoring....

Cheers for that mate.Just not sure which bit im supposed to be squirting and waggling.Which bit is the linkage(sorry for stupid question but ive not seen one before and cant find a pic anywhere)Also if i did have to replace it do i have to replace whole valve or is the linkage bit seperate.Arrrrggghhh the joys of motoring....

just in front of the rear axle, four brake line connections to it, lever arm on the side is connected to the rear beam by a spring, as the car lowers under weight the beam pulls the spring and alters the brake bias to the back.

David.

If you do replace it, you'll be doing well if you can disconnect the solid lines without messing the ends & connectors up.

Might need a bit of a whack with a hammer- don't hit the brake lines though! Did the trick on mine.