Sign in to follow this  
Dogzyboy

Please Help - VAG-COM Faults

Hi folks.

Been having idling, misfiring, sluggishness problems with my VR recently. I've just done a scan with VAG-Com and it's come up with the following faults:

01253 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 5 (N83) 63-10 - Temperature Shut-Down - Intermittent

Now, not knowing anything about cars at all, but having read tons of posts on here (cheers guys) is the first fault (01253) likely a problem with the Coilpack?

Also, from what I've read, is the second fault likely to be the Crank Sensor? Is it possible that I only have 1 fault (maybe just the coilpack) & it's kicking up 2 errors for it?

Thanks for your help.

Dogzyboy

Clear the codes, go for a drive and re-scan...

Not seen the first one before but the second is the Cam sensor, the other spped sensor is the crank one but if this was down then the car would not run... with the cam sensor down the car will run around 30bhp down due to loss of sequential injection - not sure if this could maybe cause the first fault as well tho...

My Storm is same age and original coilpack was well worn/cracked.

Replaced it.

Car falters in damp/wet conditions if coilpack is failing.

Test it when idling by spraying with a plant mister. There will be arcing and you will hear the engine missing.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, thats pretty much the symptoms I've got & the coilpack was my original diagnosis. It was just after plugging it into VAG-COM and getting the errors above, I started to wonder if it might be the Cam Position Sensor? I think I'll get me a plant mister this weekend & check that out, it has definitely got a lot worse this week as the weather has deteriorated.

Dumb question alert :oops: What exactly is "Arcing"? Just so I know what to look for.

Cheers.

What exactly is "Arcing"? Just so I know what to look for.

Electrical sparks jumping about in places they are not meant to - they are taking short cuts due to the cracks in the coilpack case.

Had a very similar problem with mine a while back and it was the coil pack. It had a hair line crack in it. Got a new one and it was back running like a dream. Hope you manage to sort it.

A bit of an update on the situation:

Cleared the codes & went for a drive & then re-scanned. No faults this time, might have had something to do with having the engine running this time too!

Anyway, still got the stutter in wet weather so I did the plant mister test tonight, it's confirmed that my coilpack is shot. Looks like I'll have to save up for that one & hide it from the missus!

I've seen this Beru one:

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=204 It seems to be the cheapest I can find, does anyone know of one cheaper elsewhere?

Thanks for all the help so far. :)

Dogzyboy

That is the one I got from jenks who got it from ecp at Turnhouse, Edinburgh.

I'm sure he paid more for it. VWs price used to be about £230, I think.

They are quite heavy items so postage may add a bit but it seems a good price you have found.

Update on the situation.

I've now replaced the faulty Coilpack and changed the plugs. I've just run a VAG-COM scan & I'm still getting the "01253 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 5 (N83) 63-10 - Temperature Shut-Down - Intermittent" fault coming up.

Whilst replacing the plugs I noticed that the lead on Cylinder 5 was a bit stiff. Could it be that this lead is duff & I need to replace them? Does anyone have any idea what this fault (01253) means?

Thanks in advance.

Dogzyboy

Right, after reading through hundreds of posts, I think it's got to be either duff HT leads or a dodgy 5th injector.

Anyone?

Sounds like a reasonable conclusion.

If you swapped e.g. the 5th and 6th injectors over that would prove it, right?

I would assume that would be conclusive dr_mat, however, I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to cars & dont even know what an injector looks like!! :oops:

As a starting point (and something I could manage to test), do you reckon maybe swapping over the 2nd & 5th HT leads round might help me decide if they are the problem? Obviously switching them over on the coilpack too. :?

I'd go with dr_mat and swap the injectors. The ECU isn't happy with something.

You will have to remove the inlet manifold to get at the injectors but they are easy to swap over, just a few clips and a plug. I would get some injector 'O' rings before you do it and an inlet manifold gasket to replace the old one. Sometimes the 'O' rings split when you remove the injectors. Cheap parts but your stuck without them.