Sign in to follow this  
Crispy

Fixing my crash damaged 2l 16v

Hi everyone, first a big thanks to all who have helped with getting parts, you've all been sound. Now, I have to put it back together.

Damage is from sliding off a l/h bend, catching tree roots along lower r/h side. Body repairs i'm ok with, got some good contacts and some experience(some..).

It's running gear i'm sweating about, have bent wishbone, snapped driveshaft, bent sway bar, bent tie rod, and most unfortunately the wishbone mount on the subframe has very slight damage.

Gonna have to replace all of it, main worry is removing the frame, I have done most of the other stuff on other cars so should be ok, but the frame obviously supports the engine. Bugger.

Can anyone help on the best way to support the engine whilst I change it, bearing in mind that it's in a small garage, with nothing above to hang from, and as to the obvious 'use an engine crane silly', won't the legs be in the way of where i'm working?

Any advice or warnings on the frame or anything else will be very much appreciated, I will be taking this on in the next month or two so I have much time to think.

Thanks again, Phil.

I'd suggest either an engine hoist or a support beam which sits on the wing flanges where the mounting bolts are, and goes accross the engine.

Whatever method you use, make sure it is all secure and capable of supporting the weight, you don't want the engine and gearbox dropping on you.