Sign in to follow this  
joebrent

16v vs. G60

I know this has probably been posted loads of times before but i couldnt really find anything. I have recently become the owner of a 1.8 16v very pleased with it, before i bought it i test drove a few g60's, unfortunateley the right one never came up but a nice 16v did so i got that. i am bit confused whether the g60 is quicker than the 16v. parkers say that it isnt and a few people i have spoke also said the 16v is quicker, the g60's i drove sounded better but didnt really feel any faster! i actually prefered the ride of the 16v, i felt the g60 was a bit rough/stop/start on the throttle, can you please tell me what is officially the quickest!!!!!????

G60's are a fair bit quicker than either the 1.8 or 2.0 16v. Far more tunable, higher BHP, far more torque :lol: and much better power at low revs... 8)

A tuned G60 will have more power & (arguably) better handling than a standard VR6.

On the downside, they're a fair bit more expensive to run than either of the 16v cars.. :(

Many of the G60 performance figures that you will find on the internet are for American spec cars - slower than the European versions.

Know where i can get proper performance times for the corrado range??

Corrado Club of Great Brittain website should be back up & running fairly soon - performance figures for all of the UK spec cars will be on there.

i was also wondering about this.i just took it that a standard g60 would be quicker but i have seen some sites 0-60 performance figures say that the 1.8 16V is few tenths quicker-dont kno if they posted it wrong or what!have a look at this C i was too slow,it was b4 igot mine though http://www.comoco.co.uk/corrado this guy mentions it being the fastest non-vr6 model-now is that 0-60fast or top speed fast???

Hiya may upset a few ppl here but did a lot of research into different corrado engines when i was looking to buy one the 1.8 16v is quicker to 60mph than the g60 due to the gear ratios not been very good on a g60 but over 60 mph the g60 will leave you for dust i imagine, because the only thing stopping the g60 hitting 60mph quicker is the fact u gotta change gear just before u hit 60, hence the reason you see 1.8 16v been quicker to 60, and the 2.0L 16v is evenly matched to the 1.8 16v, the 1.8 16v is the quickest to 60 out of the hole corrado range excludeing the vr6, but suppose it all depends on the driver at the end of the day.

http://www.comoco.co.uk/corrado this guy mentions it being the fastest non-vr6 model-now is that 0-60fast or top speed fast???

Definitely 0-60 fast & not top speed - this guy was trying to sell his car !! It also had a fairly well modified engine.

Beetlebug_2001 is quite correct though - the G60 gear ratios do limit it's launchability from 1st gear, although I've heard it's possible to launch a tuned G60 from 2nd instead.. :wink:

0-60 times do not have much relevence in the real world. I'm far more interested in how quickly I can overtake someone e.g how quickly it will accelerate from 50-100mph.

Definitely 0-60 fast & not top speed - this guy was trying to sell his car !! It also had a fairly well modified engine.

exactly.. he's trying to sell the car so of course he'll say its as fast as he can get away with. "After modifications approx 165bhp" is barely more than a stock G60, and what G60 owner hasn't atleast done a chip/pulley?

Beetlebug_2001 is quite correct though - the G60 gear ratios do limit it's launchability from 1st gear, although I've heard it's possible to launch a tuned G60 from 2nd instead.. :wink:

0-60 times do not have much relevence in the real world. I'm far more interested in how quickly I can overtake someone e.g how quickly it will accelerate from 50-100mph.

launching in 2nd is no problem.. that means only one gearchange before 60mph. 0-60 means nothing anyway.. low down torque and pure grunt is what i'm after... even a 16v with a turbo won't have as much torque in low-rpm as a well-tuned G60.

..however, the 16v head (esp 1.8 16v) design is far far superior to the G60 PG head... even after the PG head has been ported it doesn't flow as well as a 16v head.

Know where i can get proper performance times for the corrado range??

See attached pic, which is a bastardised creation from a book called 'VW Golf and derivatives' as my scanner is bust!

All figures were recorded by Autocar and Motor in early 90s.

Hope it helps

Kev

Attached is a table of acceleration times done in 5th gear.

Look how the G60 and VR surge ahead of the 16Vs and also note how the VR6 and G60 are very evenly matched at higher road speeds.

I'm not disputing any of the figures, just posting them for your info.

I must admit the 2.0 16V times seem very unfair and not indicative of a good one I'm sure.

I think also the author of the book has muddled up the car weights as apparently the VR6 is lighter than the other cars!

Kev

I thought the gearboxes were all the same across the range. The reason the 16V does 60 in second (BTW only if you redline it!) is it redlines at 7000 rpm and not 6000rpm for the G60 and VR6. (sorry, not accurate, but I think its close).

Kev, I'd love to believe that attachment. It really does put a standard 1.8 16v quicker than all the others (across the whole range!) apart from the VR6.

the figures autocar got for a G60 were indeed slower than they got for a 1.8 16v.......however this isn't down to the gear ratios not being good but down to

A) it was a LHD G60 they tested

B) within 2 months or 2k miles of testing the gearbox needed replaced(so it really was tested with a duff box)

the figures to take seriously are what VW claim..........as VW and all other german marques are very conservative with their performance figures and i believe they quote approx 7.5 secs 0-60 for the C G60

the figures to take seriously are what VW claim..........as VW and all other german marques are very conservative with their performance figures and i believe they quote approx 7.5 secs 0-60 for the C G60

Agreed and it's worth noting that VW's time recording method is:-

Choose a day with little or no wind.

Half fill the petrol tank.

Install one passenger or equivalent ballast (usually 75Kg)

Do two runs in both directions.

Take the average.

Some manufacturers go a few steps further by using a car loaded with all available options, include more ballast and do the runs on days of varying wind speeds to get the worst case scenarios.

At the end of the day, the discrepencies are usually 10ths of a second, so it's not really that important. It's just that psychologically speaking, a 0-60 of say, 6.9 seconds is MUCH faster than 7.2! In the real world, it aint, but on the race track it can probably mean the difference between winning and coming second.

Oh and the Handbook has the G60 down as 8.5 to 60. 6.9 for the VR and 9.3 for the 2.0 16V.

Kev