Sign in to follow this  
Beetlebug_2001

BP Ultimate, u heard of it?

Ok was hearing about some new fuel coming out this week by BP called ultimate supposed to be 100Ron, aimed at scobby owners ect which require that octane, only available in greece so far (100 ron) but not sure if we getting 100 ron or 98 ron ultimate. I hope the scooby owners dont mind shareing :), imagine the octane lvls with a octane booster :), also heard that shell optimax is only 96.5ron apparently after months of promoting the stuff they took it down from 98ron, been told BP super is the best stuff @ 97ron, hopefully 100ron later in the week, anyone else heard of this then?

why only scooby owners? there are loads of performance cars that will benefit from 100 ron fuel.(if in fact it is 100 ron!!) Its actually in pumps on the south coast and in a few in london at the moment. so if you fill up with super down on the coast, chances are you are filling up with ultimate :D

although, its not as you might expect :cry: here is a reply a mate had when he enquired about ultimate @ BP

Dear Alex,

Thank you for your email received 07/10/03 regarding BP Ultimate.

BP Ultimate Unleaded and Diesel are performance fuels that are designed for all types of

vehicles, not just performance cars.

They were released 07/10/03 in about 100 stores in London and the surrounding area and will

continue to spread to other sites across the country daily.

BP Ultimate Unleaded has an octane rating of 97-98 RON, causing less pollution along with having

twice the cleaning power of ordinary fuels.

In tests BP Ultimate Unleaded acceleration increase was roughly equivalent to having the next

larger engine size e.g. Its like upgrading from a 1.8 to a 2.0.

It removes performance robbing deposits from your engine that other fuels can leave behind.

Thank you again for your email, if you have any further queries please don't hesitate to call

the BP Careline on 0800 402 402.

Yours sincerely,

Freddie Boniface

Customer Care Advisor

BP Oil UK Ltd

0800 402402

hope this helps!! i do think its crap that we dont get what the rest of europe gets tho!! :mad:

Didnt mean for just scobby owners sorry, was along the lines of modden jap motors ect which are required to run 100 ron to stop detenation, yeah i heard it was out this week im up north so ill probs be the last to get it :( , only greece have 100ron ultimate hope we follow suit.

beetlebug - no worries dude! thought u might know something i didnt thats all 8)

got my mate to ask a few questions, here is the reply he got...

Dear Mr Flower,

1. Why isn't it 100RON like the BP Ultimate in Greece?

It's due to differences in the markets. In developing BP Ultimate for the UK we have sought to

produce a fuel which provides significant benefits for a relatively small additional price. If

we sold 100 octane BP Ultimate in the UK it would have to be significantly more expensive, and

would make it less accessible to the UK motorist.

2. How is the 97-98RON achieved? Is it normal 95RON with additives blended in to achieve this,

or is it refined to achieve 97-98RON from the word go?

The increased octane of BP Ultimate is achieved by more thorough refining. It's a brand new

fuel developed over the past 18 months.

3. What is the MON rating?

The Motor octane number is 86.

4. What parts of the country has it been released in to date and those garages that have, is it

advertised as Ultimate or still normal 97RON?

BP Ultimate is available in most of London & South East, parts of Central England and in parts

of Scotland / North East / North West at the moment, by the end of the week it should be in all

regions. In these sites it is called BP Ultimate.

Regards,

Freddie Boniface

Customer Care Advisor

BP Oil UK Ltd

0800 402402

so beetlebug - looks like its on its way to you very shortly, if not already!! 8)

although, depending on price, might just stick to optimax :D

:lol: , Thanx for the info dboy much appretiated, ill pop down to my bp garage 2night its a big major truck stop with mcdonalds little sheff and hotels ect off the a19 so may well have ultimate being a big garage and all.

Good work guys and gives reason to the recent Optimax TV advertising campaign!

I look forward to sampling some of this new motion potion.

Is that the official line about Optimax being 96.5 RON? I often thought to myself it isn't all it's cracked up to be as I've had really variable results with the stuff, often finding that normal Shell 95 is just as good.

Regular BP 97 RON stuff often gives better results than Optimax.

Kev

Comments from a Scooby WRX forum member:-

"I was keeping fuel economy figures for a long time and found that BP Ultimate gave the best economy and most consistent power by far. Mobil 8000 was next and Optimax last. I'll only use Ultimate now where possible (it's hard to find in the country)."

Pretty conclusive I'd say :lol:

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks Optimax is over-rated.

Kev

Yes! your right, did a bit more reading - apparently its been widely available in Europe for the last couple of years, as ever the UK are still waiting! It will be interesting what shell do now with the new BP juice coming out as they are currently advertising Optimax as the Highest RON fuel available in the UK.

I wasn't impressed by Optimax. I prefer Superplus from my local Esso. Runs much better than the Optimax.

Interestingly the Corrado manual says the G60 takes 95 only but the VR6 can take 98 or 95. What effect do you get from Optimax then Lader boys? Does it make a difference? Doesn't do diddly squat for the VR.

Kev

Well i had an old beetle (1971) converted to run on unleaded and i put optimax in it once by accident and it went like sh*t off a stick, really made a difference, so i imagine any car running a higher octane than normal will get the same benifits, but in higher powered cars you may not see much of a difference as they are fast already, aparently if you use super unleaded of 98ron its the equivilant of going up 100cc in engine size, the 1.8 16v can only run on 98 ron as the engine can not adjust to 95 ron and causes pinking which in turn increases the chance of detonation, bit of advice ive found a lot of ppl didnt know.

chances are with a 1.8 16v that during service, if the owner has been using 95 RON, that the mechanic will have retarded the timing to suit. So it will run Ok with 95 ron (albeit outside of factory settings).

So changing to super plus (98 ron) and advancing the timing as far as it will go (further advanced that factory even), will see a noticeable performance increase.

you cant retard the timing on the 1.8 16v to run on unleaded,the previous owner did that to my old 16v golf and it was a bag of cow dung,got it tuned and put back on the propor setting and was told the only way to run the kr 16v on unleaded was to fit a k-star or v-sam

What K-star does is control the advance curve, which overcomes the main downfall of K-Jet mech injection. Means it will recognise the lower octane fuel and automaticaly retard the timing (removing the pinking), and gradually advance the timing again over the rev band and depending on load. This is what the more modern electronic injection engines do.

The standard K-Jet has to be manually set to account for the fuel type. But it will not adjust itself dependant revs or load. Retarding the timing will allow 95ron to be used without pinking, but it will lose a fair amount of power.

K-jet allows 95ron to be used with minimal loss of power as it makes the engine more efficient.

I was told by mechanic to advance it as far as it will go to squeeze any extra power out of it. At the moment mines at 5 deg advanced (don't know what factory settings are), thats as far as mine will go on 98ron. This same guy advances the toyota corrolla twin cams to 15deg :shock:

I just used Ultimate after always having previously used Optimax.

Well - either its purely psychological or the Ultimate is MILES better than Optimax.

Really responsive and well... I don't know what to say! RECOMMENDED!!

Seems to idle far smoother with Ultimate, I am sure it isnt my imagination!! :?

I just used Ultimate after always having previously used Optimax.

Well - either its purely psychological or the Ultimate is MILES better than Optimax.

Really responsive and well... I don't know what to say! RECOMMENDED!!

Seems to idle far smoother with Ultimate, I am sure it isnt my imagination!! :?

You're not imagining things. I found the same in my VR.