Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Wiring for oil cooling fan

I've got a Mocal oil cooler located in front of the passenger wheel arch where the inercooler used to be. I'm looking to hook up a fan, so that when I'm stuck in traffic it still gets some air over it.

Basically I need some advice on the best way to do this. What I'm wondering is can I wire this in parallel with the high speed wire from the radiator fan (as the oil cooling fan will only draw a small current). Can any electrical boffins tell me if this wont/will work??

If ya buy one of the Mocal fans maybe it will come with a temp sensor. Then all ya need is a + & - feed and the fan will thermastatically take care of its self...

Or maybe I'm dreaming.. :?:

If ya buy one of the Mocal fans maybe it will come with a temp sensor. Then all ya need is a + & - feed and the fan will thermastatically take care of its self...

Just to give a bit of background - after speaking with the guys at thinkauto (who were the most useless people I've ever talked with) that make the oil coolers, they don't have a suitable bracket for my cooler and their fans were £25 (not thermostated). I was going to try it all out first with a high power 12v fan I've got, and then move to a proper one if it looks like it'll work, and I thought first port of call would be to run it when the second stage cooling kicks in for the rad....

Just to give a bit of background - after speaking with the guys at thinkauto (who were the most useless people I've ever talked with) that make the oil coolers, they don't have a suitable bracket for my cooler and their fans were £25 (not thermostated). I was going to try it all out first with a high power 12v fan I've got, and then move to a proper one if it looks like it'll work, and I thought first port of call would be to run it when the second stage cooling kicks in for the rad....

after speaking with the guys at thinkauto (who were the most useless people I've ever talked with)

Bizarre, some of the most helpful and decent people in the business, you must have caught them on a bad day.

They must have a lot of bad days then......

Wire it off the 1st stage fan speed and mount it behind the cooler as to not reduce air flow over it.

What would be the best plan, run a relay to it off the first stage fan wire, or run it directly along with the radiator fan?

Cheers guys - given that the fan I have is only rated at 0.7A I was going to run it in parallel with the rad fan, rather than use a separate relay.

Will see how it goes.....

This makes me wonder.... Any benefit of having a setup like this on the standard G60 intercooler ?

Might help a bit with heat soak in traffic. I've also drilled holes behind my oil cooler in the plastic wheel arch liner, to allow for the passage of air. Again, that might help if you need to get more air flowing over the intercooler...