Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

Strange noise from front near side wheel

When turning right at low speeds my front left wheel is making a very odd noise... I can't make up my mind whether it sounds like a metallic grinding/rubbing noise or the sound of spring tension being released... either way it's not constant and my first guess is a warped disc as it stops and starts as the wheel goes round :?

It's quite worrying as it seems to be getting worse/louder... also strange that I only get this sound when turning right!

So any ideas? The car will be off to The Phirm in a week or so so I can get it looked at then but could do with some suggestions in the mean time...

I'd probably guess at wheel bearing?

Does it still appear at high speeds?

Try jacking it up and spinning the wheel. Get hold of the wheel and see if the there is any movement by getting hold of it and really trying to pull it off the car, just to see if there is anything untoward...

Also whip the wheel off and spin the disk, see if anything is rubbing from the brake side of things.

Look at the CV joint/boot too, check they're servicable.

I think there is a slight on off rubbing sound - like pads on disk at higher speeds but again more so when turning right... will jack the corner up and have a look when I get a chance - annoying thing is that I had it up yesterday and clean forgot about the noise until I drove it later - typical :roll:

I hope it's not too serious as it's going to eat in to my tuning budget :(

My rado's starting doing this as well! unfortunately i don't have anything to jack it up on, except the vw jack, which looks to be a bit small and could slip.

Phil K - did you ever find out what this noise was?

Guess would be that it is your CV joint as it only occurs when turning the wheel, does it get worse the harder you turn right?

Whta mileage has your motor done?

yeah, it gets worse more i turn. done about 110k. getting it looked at tomorrow, need my wheels back, i hate getting the bus.