Sign in to follow this  
morpheus20170

Rear Calipers

Hi again,

Pls help me with this as I am a bit confused, surprise, surprise.

I have recently had front and rear brake discs, pads and handbrake cables fitted, I was advised by the mechanic that the handbrake couldn't be adjusted properly due to the rear calipers needing to be replaced.

I took the car back to him and he said he would get the rear calipers from EuroCarParts, whilst it was with him I asked him to do a quick check on anti-freeze, etc

I picked up the car, the handbrake is slightly better but I was charged £255 so I questioned this and was told that the calipers costed him £75 + VAT each, G60 calipers, I looked on the site and found this price to include the surcharge.

If I am not mistaken should he not be charging me the surcharge and when he put the calipers on did he not need to re-adjust the handbrake cables and bleed the brake system?

Any help would be great, thanks

rear calipers are not G60 specific, they're the same as any mk2 golf gti or other corrado for that matter, if the calipers were on an exchange basis, unless they were completely broken, i.e. pistons damaged, which is very unlikely, then you should get the surcharge back.

all the prices and surcharges are listed on ECP or GSF's website, so you can check as you said, as a motor trader or Corrado forum member you should also get around 10% discount on the list price I think.

the problem with the handbrakes is that the release mechanism built into the caliper siezes up, even though the pistons may be fine, the cables should be adjusted up with the new calipers so you only get a few clicks on the lever ratchet, quite a small movement of the handbrake lever, so it may just be adjusted differently to before or may not be quite right, pain to adjust because of removing the centre console to get at the cables, easy enough to do yourself though.

These calipers have always been cr@p. Right from MK2 up to MK4.

For a long term solution, Wilwood now do a 4 pot caliper for the rear with built in handbrake mech. You can choose 'up to 10mm solid disc' fitment (as per OE) or 'up top 22mm vented disc'. They're about £140 each, which for superior braking performance, low weight and reliability is a bargain.

Rally design sell them if you're interested. I shall be fitting these to my car at some point and finally get rid it of the shite!.

I have been told to use Mk4 calipers but you need to get the brake lines from C&R too I think but as most of the braking is done on the front brakes, I have been told I won't be worrying quite yet but thanks anyway Kev

Golf 4 calipers are excellent but right hand side ones are still prone to failure as are the late Golf 3 versions. The trick with G4 calipers is to only use genuine VW or Textar pads (from GSF) and even then only use the self adhesive backing on the outer pad. If no self adhesive backing is used on the outer pad (such as when using G3 pads), the pads will howl like a Wookie in reverse. Also, you must use the G4 pad anti rattle shims with the G4 caliper. Leave the handbrake cable off until the brakes have been bled and pumped up around twenty times and you should then have a fantastic handbrake after a few hundred miles of bedding in. If the calipers are bought used, they must be wound back to their start position but then not wound out like earlier versions, just pumped out on the pedal. G4 calipers also work fine on all G2 and G3 (inc. Corrado) caliper carriers but if you are fitting them to an early Corrado or G2, or early G3, it is a good idea to fit the handed later G3 caliper carrier to prevent pad groan. One tip to prevent a silly failure of G4 aluminium calipers is to coat the bleed nipple with aluminium paste (or copper paste if you must) to prevent the steel nipple ripping out the thread in two years time, this is the single most common reason for G4 caliper failure and is also reason for exchange surcharge refusal by VW if they spot it. Beware on used G4 calipers of sized bleed nipples, split piston boots, sticking handbrake mechanisms on right hand calipers and damage to the sealing washer surface from the stupid aluminium sealing washer on original hoses. Thankfully, the Goodridge replacements for conversion work come with copper washers.

These calipers have always been cr@p. Right from MK2 up to MK4.

For a long term solution, Wilwood now do a 4 pot caliper for the rear with built in handbrake mech. You can choose 'up to 10mm solid disc' fitment (as per OE) or 'up top 22mm vented disc'. They're about £140 each, which for superior braking performance, low weight and reliability is a bargain.

Rally design sell them if you're interested. I shall be fitting these to my car at some point and finally get rid it of the ****!.

I've been perving over these too.....would be nice to have willwoods allround tbh....